Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Local_IT Local_IT is offline

Default Documents from shared drive will not open properly

I have a problem that seems to be getting more common in the company:

Word documents that have been saved to a shared drive no longer open when
certain users double-click them from the network location. Word actually
opens, but the document does not - just the blank Word application. However,
opening Word on the local computer first, then going to File -- Open *does*
open the document. Also, double-clicking the document from the local machine
is successful. Opening this same shared file from the shared drive is
successful for the other 99% of users, so far.

As you can imagine, these extra steps are very painful to the handful of
users that are affected so far, so I would like to come up with a solution
before it becomes too common. All advice is appreciated.