mlse mlse is offline
Junior Member

Default How can I assign a macro to a button in all documents?

I am frustratingly near to solving this ... yet so far away!

I am using MS Word 2007 and I have written a macro in VB and I have saved it to normal.dotx so that all documents can use it ... but what I can't for the life of me figure out how to do is to assign it to a button on the ribbon!

I knew how to do it in previous versions of word, but I just can't down and do it in 2007!! I have the button icon ready as a gif file, everything is in place except for one little link in the chain!

A little help?

Thanks!

Last edited by mlse : December 4th 09 at 03:57 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, you can use the Customize dialog to put the macro on the QAT, but you
won't be able to use your custom button icon that way; you have to choose
from among a selection of icons Word offers when you click Modify (see
step-by-step instructions, with screen shots, at
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Add_Macro_To_QAT.htm). If you want a custom icon,
you'll have to delve into RibbonX; see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm (not sure if this applies to
the QAT, though).

http://word.mvps.org

"mlse" .uk wrote in
message ...

--
mlse

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You cannot save a macro in normal.dotX. It must be saved in normal.dotM -
as for the rest - see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

mlse wrote:
I am frustratingly near to solving this ... yet so far away!

I am using MS Word 2007 and I have written a macro in VB and I have
saved it to normal.dotx so that all documents can use it ... but what
I can't for the life of me figure out how to do is to assign it to a
button on the ribbon!

I knew how to do it in previous versions of word, but I just can't
down and do it in 2007!! I have the button icon ready as a gif file,
everything is in place except for one little link in the chain!

A little help?

Thanks!

mlse mlse is offline
Junior Member

Thanks very much for the help guys.

I am sure must have saved it to normal.dotm then! All I know is that I saved it to normal.something and it works ... that's good enough for me!