Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Patti - Hexagon

Default Mail Merge Numeric Merge Fields

I am doing a mail merge document based on a Microsoft Query from a Great
Plains table. I am trying to format the number 44,873.50 in Word as
$44,873.50. My merge field code is {MERGEFIELD "DOCAMNT"\# $#,###.00}. When
I run the mail merge, it comes in as $44,878.00. Why is it rounding or not
bringing in the cents?

This code works fine for whole dollar amounts. What am I doing wrong?

Patti
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
frank

Hi Patti:

I too have has this problem in the past with no resolution - I am on Word
XP. I guess this was a problem in earlier versions also, don't know about
2003.
What I figured out is that if the cents are 10,30,50,70, or 90 it fails. If
00,20,40,60, or 80 all is good. What word did in your case was:
take the 3 before the decimal add it to the 5 after the decimal, place it
(8) before the decimal and get rid of the cents. I've verified this for all
of the odd occurences.

What I had to do was to add a string field to my datasource and keep it
updated with the edited value and use this field in my merge. I don't know
if this is a solution for you though. It would have been easier if there was
an MS fix.

Frank

"Patti - Hexagon" wrote in message
I am doing a mail merge document based on a Microsoft Query from a Great
Plains table. I am trying to format the number 44,873.50 in Word as
$44,873.50. My merge field code is {MERGEFIELD "DOCAMNT"\# $#,###.00}.

When
I run the mail merge, it comes in as $44,878.00. Why is it rounding or

not
bringing in the cents?

This code works fine for whole dollar amounts. What am I doing wrong?

Patti

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

The switch should be \# "$#,###.00" Using that switch, I get the correct
results.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Patti - Hexagon" wrote in message
I am doing a mail merge document based on a Microsoft Query from a Great
Plains table. I am trying to format the number 44,873.50 in Word as
$44,873.50. My merge field code is {MERGEFIELD "DOCAMNT"\# $#,###.00}.
When
I run the mail merge, it comes in as $44,878.00. Why is it rounding or
not
bringing in the cents?

This code works fine for whole dollar amounts. What am I doing wrong?

Patti

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod

Hi Patti,

Using:
{MERGEFIELD DOCAMNT \# $,0.00}.
should give the correct result.

Cheers

"Patti - Hexagon" wrote in message
I am doing a mail merge document based on a Microsoft Query from a Great
Plains table. I am trying to format the number 44,873.50 in Word as
$44,873.50. My merge field code is {MERGEFIELD "DOCAMNT"\# $#,###.00}.

When
I run the mail merge, it comes in as $44,878.00. Why is it rounding or

not
bringing in the cents?

This code works fine for whole dollar amounts. What am I doing wrong?

Patti

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
frank

Hi there,
Using the 2 Doug's and Macropod's suggestions STILL produce the error Patty
is describing on my system.

Win 2000 SP4 & Office XP SP3

Frank

"macropod" wrote in message
Hi Patti,

Using:
{MERGEFIELD DOCAMNT \# $,0.00}.
should give the correct result.

Cheers

"Patti - Hexagon" wrote in

message
I am doing a mail merge document based on a Microsoft Query from a Great
Plains table. I am trying to format the number 44,873.50 in Word as
$44,873.50. My merge field code is {MERGEFIELD "DOCAMNT"\# $#,###.00}.

When
I run the mail merge, it comes in as $44,878.00. Why is it rounding or

not
bringing in the cents?

This code works fine for whole dollar amounts. What am I doing wrong?

Patti

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
frank

Sorry to reply to my own message but I want to add the following
information: If I use no formatting the amount is correct, so it isn't a
data source problem.

Also I,m using MS query to access data off an IBM I-series

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod

Hi Frank,

Your data may exist as text, rather than as real numeric values. In that
case, using:
{={MERGEFIELD DOCAMNT} \# $,0.00}.
should give the correct result.

Cheers

"frank" wrote in message
. ..
Sorry to reply to my own message but I want to add the following
information: If I use no formatting the amount is correct, so it isn't a
data source problem.

Also I,m using MS query to access data off an IBM I-series

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
frank

Thanks for trying to help.
This field is definitely numeric.
If I merge it using excel as the method it comes in fine.
Like I said previously, I also defined this field as character in me
database to get around this, so it's not really a problem for me. Just
trying to help the original poster

Frank

"macropod" wrote in message
Hi Frank,

Your data may exist as text, rather than as real numeric values. In that
case, using:
{={MERGEFIELD DOCAMNT} \# $,0.00}.
should give the correct result.

Cheers