Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don

Default I need to merge the indexes from two separate word documents.

I have two word documents, each of which is indexed. I need to merge the
indexes. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you combine the two documents, delete one of the indexes, and update the
other, you should get the desired result, assuming both the indexes were
built in the default way, with no specific identifiers.

"Don" wrote in message
I have two word documents, each of which is indexed. I need to merge the
indexes. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Do you need to keep the two documents separate, but want one
index that covers both documents? If yes, then create a third
document for the combined index, insert an RD field for each of
the two original documents, and then insert an INDEX field.

Don wrote:

I have two word documents, each of which is indexed. I need to merge the
indexes. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jerry Naekel Jerry Naekel is offline

Don,

You jumped to the advanced level here. Please give just a brief explanation
of the "insert an RD field for each of the two original documents, and then
insert an INDEX field."

Would you please just type our one index entry so we can see what this would
look like.

Jerry N.

Don wrote:

I have two word documents, each of which is indexed. I need to merge the
indexes. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Try looking at the Word Help file under the topic "Field codes: RD
(Referenced Document) field." You will find an example there (TOC rather
than index, but it works the same way).