Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BikerBill

Default Works 4.5 Conversion Questions

I recently bought a new Dell desktop running XP and Office 2003. I have an
older desktop running Win 98 SE and MS Works 4.5. I have a number of old
word processor documents (.wps) and spreadsheets (.wks) I would like to
convert so I can open them in Office 2003. I've done some searching and
there seem to be two options for the .wps files.

One is to download an old converter for the .wps files from Graham Mayor's
website. (My reading of Microsoft's description of the Works 6.0 converter
suggests it will not work with Word 2003, only earlier versions. Is this
interpretation correct?) But I notice that I may get a security warning when
I use one of the older coverters. What level of risk does this pose for me?
What can happen? I'm not looking to compromise the security of my new
system. Also, there is mention that I need to apply a registry patch. I am
not familiar with this. Can this create other problems for me?

Since I still have the old computer the second option may be to save the
files in a format that can be read by Word 2003. What format(s) can I choose
that are readable by Word 2003? Will all the old formatting and fonts be
preserved?

Lastly, is there any conversion path for my old spreadsheets? I can't seem
to find any coverters referenced for .wks files. Can I save these in some
format that is readable by Excel? Will formatting and equations be
preserved? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You can use the old converters from my web site with Word 2003. The risks
involved are minuscule. You run far more risk every time you connect to the
internet. You can only open Works documents in Word by using a conoverter
appropriate to the version of Works that creaqted them. There were several
disparate versions.
The registry patch is included with the file and instructions on its use are
included in the readme file. You merge the patch into your registry and it
creates the entries that allow the converter to be seen by Word. The
registry patch is a text file and can be read with notepad. If you remove
the converter, you should delete the registry entries.
The converter is only for Works text documents. You'll need to ask in an
Excel group or a Works group about your spreadsheets.

BikerBill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BikerBill

Thanks for your prompt response.

I'm trying to understand how the old converter works. Let's assume I
download it and apply the registry patch. When I then go to open an old
Works 4.5 word processor file will there be a file association created that
automatically converts and opens the file in Word? Can I then save it as a
"current" Word document? Or will I need to select Open With or Files of Type
or something like that to open the document? If so, what would be the
appropriate selection for these options? I assume the files are converted
one by one as they are opened, and not in some batch mode. Batch conversion
would be neat, however.

BTW, I was able to save old Works 4.5 spreadsheets as Excel spreadsheets on
a flash drive, transfer them to my new system, open them in Excel, and save
them at the current Excel file level. All formatting and formulas survived
the conversion process. It was a thing of wondrous and unexpected beauty!

BikerBill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BikerBill

I downloaded the Works TextConv file and extracted all the converter files
since I wasn't sure which one I needed. I applied the registry patch and
received a notice indicating this had been successfully completed. When I
try to open a works 4.5 WPS file I get a message saying "Word cannot start
the conv532 file". I hit OK and then get "Word cannot start the 332conv
file". I hit OK and get "Word cannot start the conv432 file". I cycle
through this set of messages three times and then a file opens up, but it's
pretty buggered up. A one page document becomes a 15 page document, there
are a lot of gibberish characters, then I get most of the document towards
the end but the formatting is messed up and the font is lost. BTW, I never
get a message saying the 632conv file cannot be started.

Other people report success with this method so I'm wondering what I'm doing
wrong. Any suggestions? I'm using Word 2003 with SP2.

BikerBill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You have extracted the converters into the wrong folder. They should go in
the folder indicated on the web site and in the supplied instructions. The
registry patch tells Word to look for the converters in the indicated
foilder. If they are not there, you get an error message.

BikerBill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BikerBill

Yes, you are correct, the converters were extracted into the wrong folder. I
deleted them from C:\Program Files\Works TextConv and extracted them into the
folder specified in the readme file. Now when I look at them I see 12 files
listed, but I don't see anything that I can determine is the registry patch.
Five are .CNV, four are .DLL, two are .wpc, and then there's the zipped
Works TextConv folder.

I previously applied the registry patch when I had extracted the files into
the wrong folder. Thinking that may be adequate (I assume there is just one
registry), I tried to open an old Works WPS file but then got the familiar
"Word cannot start the conv532/conv332/conv432" messages. Where do I go from
here?

BikerBill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The file from my web site contains four Works*.cnv files, a readme and a
registry patch. The cnv files go in the folder indicated in the readme file
and the registry patch makes them available to Word. This isn't rocket
science. If Word says it can't access the files, they are still in the wrong
folder!

BikerBill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BikerBill

I have no idea what happened yesterday. I re-extracted your converter files,
re-applied the registry patch, and voila! My old Works files open
perfectly--all the fonts and formatting are there along with the text. It is
a thing a wondrous beauty.

I firmly believe that without people such as you computers would be of very
limited utility. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise. And yes,
it's a good this isn't rocket science, 'cause I'm sure not a rocket
scientist.