Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Margaret Upton Margaret Upton is offline

Default Form fields

I am not a new Word user but a new user to Word 2007. I have created forms
in Word 2003, put in the fields and locked them. I cannot find how to now
create new forms and lock and unlock the ones I have. The computer is about
to go through the window !!!! Can anyone help please. Also there does not
seem to be a help button anywhere to find out these things. Would be very
grateful for some help please.

Margaret

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Click the Office button, and then click Word Options. In the Popular
category, select "Show Developer tab in the Ribbon." Click OK.

On the Developer tab, click Protect Document to display the Restrict Editing
and Formatting pane (if it isn't already showing of course). To turn off
protection, click Stop Protection. You can double-click a field to set its
properties; to add new fields, click the Legacy Tools button.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Margaret Upton" wrote in message
I am not a new Word user but a new user to Word 2007. I have created forms
in Word 2003, put in the fields and locked them. I cannot find how to now
create new forms and lock and unlock the ones I have. The computer is
about to go through the window !!!! Can anyone help please. Also there
does not seem to be a help button anywhere to find out these things. Would
be very grateful for some help please.

Margaret

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You will find http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm useful
when working with protected forms in Word 2007.

"Margaret Upton" wrote in message
I am not a new Word user but a new user to Word 2007. I have created forms
in Word 2003, put in the fields and locked them. I cannot find how to now
create new forms and lock and unlock the ones I have. The computer is
about to go through the window !!!! Can anyone help please. Also there
does not seem to be a help button anywhere to find out these things. Would
be very grateful for some help please.

Margaret

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Margaret Upton Margaret Upton is offline

thank you very much indeed.

Margaret

PS why have Microsoft made such a dreadful version of Word, you cannot
customise the button bar, add macros and menus to it, or even group clipart
together !!

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
You will find http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm
useful when working with protected forms in Word 2007.

"Margaret Upton" wrote in message
I am not a new Word user but a new user to Word 2007. I have created
forms in Word 2003, put in the fields and locked them. I cannot find how
to now create new forms and lock and unlock the ones I have. The computer
is about to go through the window !!!! Can anyone help please. Also
there does not seem to be a help button anywhere to find out these things.
Would be very grateful for some help please.

Margaret

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Margaret Upton Margaret Upton is offline

graham, its me again. Just come to try the commands on the page for Add
Classic Controls to Ribbon and I cannot find where you download the Custom
UI Editor application. I seem to have gone round and round and never seem
to come to anything that actually says download the Custom UI Editor. I
have followed link after link and cannot find it. I am probably being
stupid, but I simply cannot find it. I am sure its not on my system,
because it is not in office tools (which I presume you would find it ?).
Please can I ask you again for help as exactly where to find the download
and what it is called. I have looked through the download section on
Microsoft's page too.

Margaret

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Margaret Upton Margaret Upton is offline

Graham
Can I ask for your help again please. I have downloaded the editor, created
a template, saved it in the start up, opened it in the editor and pasted in
the text on the link you gave me and I cannot see that anything has changed
on the button bar. nothing has changed in the form section, still no lock
template. Any ideas what I have done wrong.

Margaret
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
You will find http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm
useful when working with protected forms in Word 2007.

"Margaret Upton" wrote in message
I am not a new Word user but a new user to Word 2007. I have created
forms in Word 2003, put in the fields and locked them. I cannot find how
to now create new forms and lock and unlock the ones I have. The computer
is about to go through the window !!!! Can anyone help please. Also
there does not seem to be a help button anywhere to find out these things.
Would be very grateful for some help please.

Margaret

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I think you may be confusing the contents of two posts. I don't recall
giving you any code to enter into the UI editor? The UI Editor is a means
whereby you can edit the ribbon.

As for the forms tools, you can copy and paste the ribbon code from Greg
Maxey's web site - http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm
which adds the ribbon modifications in the developer tab.

If you have done this, then you need to restart Word to load the add-in
template. You will see the extra commands on the Developer Tab.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Margaret Upton Margaret Upton is offline

Hello Graham

Sorry to be such a pain. What I meant to say, is that I have followed all
it said in the article from Greg, pasted the text into the UI editor and
nothing has happened, there is still not anything to lock a form on the
toolbar, even after restarting Word and the computer. When I tried to
delete the template and start again, it would not let me remove it in Word
as it said the file was being used, so its obviously there. I deleted in in
Windows explorer and started again, but nothing appears on the ribbon. Any
ideas.

Margaret

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See response to your post in the word.vba.beginners newsgroup.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Download a working version of the add-in from
http://www.gmayor.com/Extras/ClassicFormControls.zip

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You are welcome. However I am surprised that Greg didn't have this on his
download on his site ... especially as I have been recommending this page on
the assumption that he did . I have given him a nudge in the right
direction.