Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ignatius Ignatius is offline

Default Built-in heading style conflicts

I am trying to build two new styles off of Heading 2 that are to be outline
numbered just like Heading 2. This works fine. The problem is when I need
to modify the two new styles to be formatted more appropriately (i.e.
centered, 14pt kerning, no tabs, etc.). Heading 2 is 'damaged'. I
eventually get my two new captions to functioning properly, numbering and
formatted, as I expect. However, Heading two losses it's sense of outline
numbering correctly. Now that I played with it for a while, content marked
with Heading 2 doesn't restart numbering after Heading 1 content.

The following is what I am experiencing with Heading 2 after I get my two
new style based on Heading 2 to work properly:
1.0
1.1
1.2
2.0
1.3

- OR -

1.0
1.1
1.2
2.0
2.3

Thanks
Ignatius
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Ignatius

Ignatius wrote:
I am trying to build two new styles off of Heading 2 that are to be outline
numbered just like Heading 2.

Can elaborate more what this means exactly (and _why_ you need two more
styles to act in the same way as H2)?

I feel like, if you really want those two styles to be part of the same
outline as your H1 and H1, you might have to resort to field-based
numbering. But I cannot be certain unless you give more details.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ignatius Ignatius is offline

Hi Robert,

Thanks for helping out.

The two news styles will be based on Heading 2 but have a number of
significant modifications, such as no tabs, centered, etc.

I believe I have a resolution for this, or at least more information that
would help others in the future. Originally, I found that creating the two
new styles based on Heading 2 works fine, with no modifications to the two
new styles. I then found that all but one change allows both the two new
styles and Heading 2 to impact each other. (Some more background, our
Heading 2 was modified to included outline numbering...this is a huge deal I
found out).

So, now I have Heading 2 with outline numbering and two new styles based off
of Heading 2 including the outline numbering, and a few other modifications:

- no tabs
- centered
- kerning at 14pt
- 6pt before spacing

As soon as I modify with the two new styles to be aligned at .1" (via
Bullets and NumberingCustomizeNumber PositionAligned at the numbering
for Heading 2 no longer shows in the document.

From what I have read online, this is a Word bug. Numbering Lists & Outline
Numbering built into styles causes a conflict with the parent style and the
style 'pulling' from the parent style.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello Ignatius

Ignatius wrote:
I am trying to build two new styles off of Heading 2 that are to be outline
numbered just like Heading 2.

Can elaborate more what this means exactly (and _why_ you need two more
styles to act in the same way as H2)?

I feel like, if you really want those two styles to be part of the same
outline as your H1 and H1, you might have to resort to field-based
numbering. But I cannot be certain unless you give more details.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Ignatius

From what I have read online, this is a Word bug.

It is a Word bug, but probably not in the way you imagine. It's not that
what you're doing should work. Rather, Word shouldn't let you do what you're
doing!

Word manages numbering by creating a structure that holds the numbering
scheme. You and I don't see that structure directly. Within that structure,
there are 9 levels. There "should be" only *one* style attached to each
level. For example: Heading 1 goes with level 1; Heading 2 goes with level 2
etc. But if you create a style based on a numbered style, as you've done,
there are now several styles all competing for the same position in the
structure. So, typically Heading 2 would be at level 2 in this 9-level
structure. But you now have several styles that all think they are at level
2. The result of that conflict is what you're seeing.

So what you're doing is exploiting a flaw in Word's logic. Sometimes Word
lets you get away with it, and sometimes it doesn't! However, this technique
(of basing styles on existing numbered styles) is widely used, and I even
have a booklet from Microsoft advocating the practice.

I personally wouldn't do it this way. Some alternative methods a

- formalize your documents so that all paragraphs with the same kind of
numbering have the same kind of formatting (which makes it better for the
reader)

- use direct formatting to achieve the tabs, centred, space-before
requirements

- use SEQ fields instead of paragraph numbering

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Ignatius" wrote in message
[...]

From what I have read online, this is a Word bug. Numbering Lists &
Outline
Numbering built into styles causes a conflict with the parent style and
the
style 'pulling' from the parent style.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello Ignatius

Ignatius wrote:
I am trying to build two new styles off of Heading 2 that are to be
outline
numbered just like Heading 2.

Can elaborate more what this means exactly (and _why_ you need two more
styles to act in the same way as H2)?

I feel like, if you really want those two styles to be part of the same
outline as your H1 and H1, you might have to resort to field-based
numbering. But I cannot be certain unless you give more details.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Basing a style on a numbered one works as long as you don't try to
modify the numbering of the child style. As soon as you make any
modification to the numbering options of the child style, numbering
will be removed from the parent, as you've noticed.

It seems as if Word links the child style to the numbering scheme
whenever you try to modify the numbering options of the child. The
behavior is consistent with what happens when you change (say) the
font formatting of a child style; that particular property is then no
longer linked to the corresponding property of the parent style.

However, font properties (among others) can be stored in a style;
numbering schemes cannot. The latter are separate objects with 9
levels, each of which can link to a style.

So when Word links a new style (the child style), numbering is removed
from the old style (the parent).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ignatius" wrote in message
[...]

From what I have read online, this is a Word bug. Numbering Lists &

Outline
Numbering built into styles causes a conflict with the parent style

and the
style 'pulling' from the parent style.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello Ignatius