Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jason

Default 6 digits in outline numbering

I'm a mechanical engineer, and we use Word for our specifications documents.
They are formatted to be outline numbered, which is all fairly standard
except for Level 1. Each different section of the specifications ha a
number, and those numbers have historically had 5 digits. They have recently
been revamped to have 6 digits. I define these numbers as Level 1 and
manually change the numbers to match the section number for each section.
Word won't let me enter 6 digits. Suggestions for fixing this without
redoing the whole numbering scheme?

We reference that section number in two places, so I need to have
programming that can pick up that number and change automatically as it
changes. I could not have it be part of the outline numbering, and have it
be a different reference, as long as I could refer to that reference in the
header, and the header can pick up the changed reference from section to
section.
--
Jason
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

What do you mean by 6 digits? Six levels of outline? If so, as a person
who is also an Engineer, I would say it is too many. I have been involved
with the preparation of numerous specifications and reports and have rarely
found the need to go beyond three levels of numbering.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP