Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Jim is offline

Default Page Layout - Word 2000 doc in 2007

Good Afternoon Gang, I have a 550 page doc that was authored in 2000 that
I'm now opening in 2007 (trial). It's in compatibility mode. When I open
the doc, the page layout looks normal (print layout view). But when Word
gets done reading all the pages, everything shifts such that there is a large
space at the right side of the page. It looks the same in print preview.
Big gap to the right, top and bottom look normal.

But when I print it, not only do I have the gap at the right, but also at
the top and bottom. It actually looks like everything on the page has been
reduced to 60% or so.

I've spent an hour trying to figure this out. Is there something new in
2007 that I'm not aware of?

Thanks, Jim.
--
Jim Hull
Technical Writer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since you're jumping from Word 2000, presumably you haven't experienced the
way Word 2002 and 2003 handle Track Changes (with "balloons" in the margin).
If you are tracking changes (or if the document contains comments), every
page (not just the pages containing markup) will be printed reduced this way
to allow room for the marginal balloons. There may be some other
explanation, but I imagine this is the most likely.

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Jim is offline

Thanks a ton Suzanne, you nailed it! Don't know how long I would have
aimlessly wandered before figuring that out.
--
Jim Hull
Technical Writer

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know I guessed right!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Since you're jumping from Word 2000, presumably you haven't experienced

the
way Word 2002 and 2003 handle Track Changes (with "balloons" in the

margin).
If you are tracking changes (or if the document contains comments),

every
page (not just the pages containing markup) will be printed reduced this

way
to allow room for the marginal balloons. There may be some other
explanation, but I imagine this is the most likely.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.