Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Adam D Adam D is offline

Default Page numbers change between document and print preview

I'm using Word 2003. I have a document with several chapters that I want to
print off with page numbers starting back at 1 for each chapter e.g. 1.1,
1.2....., 2.1, 2.2.... and so on. I have this working perfectly for the first
two sections. When I get to the third chapter, however, the page number of
the first page displays correctly as 3.1 on the screen but when I go to print
preview it comes up as 3.13 (which would mean it's continuing on from 2.12 -
the previous page). I have "Start from 1" selected, not "Continue from
previous section" and the page number format is identical to the previous two
sections which are working fine.

In the bottom left corner of the screen it says "Page 1 Sec 3" so I'm
assuming I've got my section breaks and page numbers working properly, but
telling it to print out page 1 of section 3 results in the printer warming up
then printing nothing.

There is lots of hidden text. However this doesn't interfere with any of the
other chapters.

I've tried restarting word and re-doing the page numbers with the same
result each time. Anyone have any idea what might be going on?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Adam D Adam D is offline

Problem solved. The section break was on its own line. I moved it up next to
the end of the text in section 2 and it now works...go figure.