Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue C Sue C is offline

Default Autotext

Does anyone know where Word stores autotext entries, and if it is possible to
change this?

As far as I can work out they are somewhere on the C drive.

I am setting up some templates that need to be shared amongst several users
(some using 2003, some 2007). I've changed the location of the template
files to a server directory, and that works fine. But the autotext still
seems to be need to set up individually on each machine. Which is time
consuming and a nuisance when it needs updating.

Thanks.

Sue
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Autotext is stored in templates - by default in the user's normal.dot
template. If you want to use autotext in shared templates, then ensure that
the autotext entries are save in or moved to those templates. You can do
this with the organizer.

Sue C wrote:
Does anyone know where Word stores autotext entries, and if it is
possible to change this?

As far as I can work out they are somewhere on the C drive.

I am setting up some templates that need to be shared amongst several
users (some using 2003, some 2007). I've changed the location of the
template files to a server directory, and that works fine. But the
autotext still seems to be need to set up individually on each
machine. Which is time consuming and a nuisance when it needs
updating.

Thanks.

Sue

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue C Sue C is offline

Hi Graham

That's really helpful, thanks. Can you explain a bit more about 'the
organiser'? I'm not sure what you mean, but hopefully it will help me a lot
- I have about 20 templates that all need to use the same autotext entries.
There are about 100 autotext entries, some of which are full paragraphs. So
some kind of copy and paste would be extremely useful!

Thanks again.

Sue

Sue C wrote:
Does anyone know where Word stores autotext entries, and if it is
possible to change this?

As far as I can work out they are somewhere on the C drive.

I am setting up some templates that need to be shared amongst several
users (some using 2003, some 2007). I've changed the location of the
template files to a server directory, and that works fine. But the
autotext still seems to be need to set up individually on each
machine. Which is time consuming and a nuisance when it needs
updating.

Thanks.

Sue

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You'll find the organizer at (for example) tools macro macros
organizer. It will allow you to copy items from any two documents or
templates opened there. You may also explore the possibility of having a
shared startup folder into which you can copy an add-in global template
containing all these autotext entries - then you need only copy them once..
An alternative is covered at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/...buteMacros.htm although similar
principles apply to autotexts.

Sue C wrote:
Does anyone know where Word stores autotext entries, and if it is
possible to change this?

As far as I can work out they are somewhere on the C drive.

I am setting up some templates that need to be shared amongst
several users (some using 2003, some 2007). I've changed the
location of the template files to a server directory, and that
works fine. But the autotext still seems to be need to set up
individually on each machine. Which is time consuming and a
nuisance when it needs updating.

Thanks.

Sue

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue C Sue C is offline

I'm really struggling with this. I've set up a piece of autotext in one
template document. I have another template document open. If I go into the
Building Blocks organiser within either document, the only 'Save In' options
I have are the current document, Normal, or Building Blocks. The name of the
other template document doesn't appear.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Sue C wrote:
Does anyone know where Word stores autotext entries, and if it is
possible to change this?

As far as I can work out they are somewhere on the C drive.

I am setting up some templates that need to be shared amongst
several users (some using 2003, some 2007). I've changed the
location of the template files to a server directory, and that
works fine. But the autotext still seems to be need to set up
individually on each machine. Which is time consuming and a
nuisance when it needs updating.

Thanks.

Sue

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In the Organizer dialog box, click the Close File button; Word will then
show the Open File button, which you can use to locate the template that
you are copying from or to.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Sue C wrote:
Does anyone know where Word stores autotext entries, and if it

is
possible to change this?

As far as I can work out they are somewhere on the C drive.

I am setting up some templates that need to be shared amongst
several users (some using 2003, some 2007). I've changed the
location of the template files to a server directory, and that
works fine. But the autotext still seems to be need to set up
individually on each machine. Which is time consuming and a
nuisance when it needs updating.

Thanks.

Sue

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue C Sue C is offline

Starting to feel really stupid now ... I don't have a Close File button. I'm
using 2007, does that make a difference?

Sue C wrote:
Does anyone know where Word stores autotext entries, and if it

is
possible to change this?

As far as I can work out they are somewhere on the C drive.

I am setting up some templates that need to be shared amongst
several users (some using 2003, some 2007). I've changed the
location of the template files to a server directory, and that
works fine. But the autotext still seems to be need to set up
individually on each machine. Which is time consuming and a
nuisance when it needs updating.

Thanks.

Sue

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

From the developer tab (not installed by default but easily added - see
below) macros organizer. You will have two windows one for each file you
wish to work with.

To add the developer tab, click the 'pizza' button then Word Options
popular show developer tab in the ribbon.

Sue C wrote:
Does anyone know where Word stores autotext entries, and if it

is
possible to change this?

As far as I can work out they are somewhere on the C drive.

I am setting up some templates that need to be shared amongst
several users (some using 2003, some 2007). I've changed the
location of the template files to a server directory, and that
works fine. But the autotext still seems to be need to set up
individually on each machine. Which is time consuming and a
nuisance when it needs updating.

Thanks.

Sue

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue C Sue C is offline

Slowly slowly one step at a time I may be getting there!

This brings up Styles and Macros (of which there are none), but no autotext
to copy from one template to another.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks.
Sue

From the developer tab (not installed by default but easily added - see

Sue C wrote:
Does anyone know where Word stores autotext entries, and if it
is
possible to change this?

As far as I can work out they are somewhere on the C drive.

I am setting up some templates that need to be shared amongst
several users (some using 2003, some 2007). I've changed the
location of the template files to a server directory, and that
works fine. But the autotext still seems to be need to set up
individually on each machine. Which is time consuming and a
nuisance when it needs updating.

Thanks.

Sue

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Sorry, but my unfamiliarity with 2007 has clouded the issue rather than
helped here. It was all much simpler in 2003
However, if you look at Word Help (F1) for Reuse and distribute parts of a
document, there is an explanation of how to distribute building blocks
(autotext) with your templates.

Sue C wrote:
Slowly slowly one step at a time I may be getting there!

This brings up Styles and Macros (of which there are none), but no
autotext to copy from one template to another.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks.
Sue

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

From the developer tab (not installed by default but easily added -
see below) macros organizer. You will have two windows one for

Autotext Ruth Microsoft Word Help 4 March 8th 07 03:28 PM
Autotext dillon65 Microsoft Word Help 2 October 6th 06 06:07 AM
AutoText Moe Jones New Users 1 May 20th 06 01:24 AM
Autotext rabbieburns Microsoft Word Help 3 April 30th 06 07:05 PM
AutoText, how do I add the SaveDate function to the AutoText list. PKDance Microsoft Word Help 2 March 24th 05 05:03 AM