Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
denise denise is offline

Default Document Structure

Is there a way to compile word documents in a way similar to how Excel has a
"workbook" which is an entire file, but the workbook is comprised of
"worksheets" which are all right there to reference? I want to have a similar
structure in my word document and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

G'Day Denise,

The answer is NO (not with nice sheet tabs), but maybe yes(?)....

What may help is a Master Document. Your existing documents (what
you are calling pages) are treated as sub-documents - for convenience
they should be in a single folder.

You will see many warnings that Master Documents can become corrupt,
but follow some simple precautions and you will be ok!

Use the Master Document as a means to an end - a convenient framework
for linking the "pages", and itself containing nothing except Cover/Title pages,
a TOC and, occasionally, an Index.

Maintain the sub-documents (pages) quite separately. The Master, to me, is a
disposable item that can be re-created if necessary. Moving content around
within the Master CAN lead to problems.

Open a New Document in Word;
Type "Title Page"; Press Enter; InsertBreakPage Break;
Type "Contents": Press Enter; InsertBreakPage Break;

You now have three pages with the insertion point at the
top of page three.

FileSave As... (suitable Name) in the same folder as the
other sub-documents. (I have a Template for just this purpose.)

ViewOutline;
You will see another Toolbar (Outlining).
Hover the Mouse over button 4 from the right-hand end
("Insert subdocument")

Click and choose the first of the sub-documents (pages).
It will be inserted, and the cursor will move to the end.
Repeat for all other parts in correct order.

Save!!

Now! The Master does not "contain" the subdocuments - it
is linked to them and reads each one as needed.

Through the master document you may:
Add and format your table of contents
Paginate the entire Document
View the entire Document
Print the entire Document....

It is best that you maintain (edit) each sub-document separately -
however do note that you CAN edit in the Master, and the
changes will be saved to each individual document.

Again! Avoid moving content while in the Master Document. If you
encounter problems, be prepared to scrap the Master Document and
re-create it. That said, I have use Master Documents for years without
any problems.

See Word Help for "Master Documents".
--
Regards,