Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LizJD

Default Choosing a different set of recipients

When I use the select recipients feature in the mail-merge in Word 2003, I
can't select a different set of recipients after I have finished with the
first set. The arrow at the top of the field I have chosen that turns blue
when a subset has been selected goes grey after I have mailmerged.

How do I select an alternative subset ofpeople? For example; I may have
merged a class set of names for one teaching group and now I want to produce
a different teaching set from the same year group of pupils
thanks

Liz
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Are you using the recipients button on the mergte toolbar or trying to steer
through the tortuous merge wizard? You may find
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm useful. You should
be able to change the recipients list at will from the toolbar.

LizJD wrote:
When I use the select recipients feature in the mail-merge in Word
2003, I can't select a different set of recipients after I have
finished with the first set. The arrow at the top of the field I
have chosen that turns blue when a subset has been selected goes grey
after I have mailmerged.

How do I select an alternative subset ofpeople? For example; I may
have merged a class set of names for one teaching group and now I
want to produce a different teaching set from the same year group of
pupils
thanks

Liz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Liz J

--

I am using the recipients button on the merge toolbar.

Thanks for the link but it doesn't seem to work for me. It leads to a 'page
cannot be displayed' message.

Liz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Try it again. I updated the page recently and it may have been temporarily
down. You can get this page in PDF format from my downloads page.

Liz J wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Are you using the recipients button on the mergte toolbar or trying
to steer through the tortuous merge wizard? You may find
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm useful. You
should be able to change the recipients list at will from the
toolbar. --

I am using the recipients button on the merge toolbar.

Thanks for the link but it doesn't seem to work for me. It leads to
a 'page cannot be displayed' message.

Liz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LizJD

Hi Graham

I read your article (and bookmarked your very useful site for further
reading later) but as it doesn't cover choosing recipients, it didn't give me
any clues as to what is going wrong.

I have a data file in Excel and want to send a personalised memo to my
students using the data in Excel. I need to print them out a class at a time
to make distribution easier.

As I mentioned before, having chosen one group, I cannot then get back all
the recipients in order to choose a different group. The only way I cando
that is to reload the data file but that is a nuisance.

Still lost.

Liz

Liz J wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Are you using the recipients button on the mergte toolbar or trying
to steer through the tortuous merge wizard? You may find
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm useful. You
should be able to change the recipients list at will from the
toolbar. --

I am using the recipients button on the merge toolbar.

Thanks for the link but it doesn't seem to work for me. It leads to
a 'page cannot be displayed' message.

Liz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

When you go back into the Recipients dialog box, is it definitely the blue
arrow that's been greyed, or the All option that appears when you click it?
(I haven't been able to reproduce the "Blue arrow goes grey" behaviour here
so far).

Are you able to click any of the columns and see any of the drop-down
options? If so, can you get into the "Advanced..." option and clear out any
filtering in there?

Peter Jamieson

Liz J wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Are you using the recipients button on the mergte toolbar or trying
to steer through the tortuous merge wizard? You may find
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm useful. You
should be able to change the recipients list at will from the
toolbar. --

I am using the recipients button on the merge toolbar.

Thanks for the link but it doesn't seem to work for me. It leads to
a 'page cannot be displayed' message.

Liz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

I have not been able to reproduce the problem either which suggests that
there may be a minor corruption in either the data file or the merge
document. See also http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
I would be inclined to merge all the records into a one row table containing
all the fields and set the document type to catalog/directory then merge to
a new document. Add a field title row to the table and use that as a merge
source.

Liz J wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Are you using the recipients button on the mergte toolbar or
trying to steer through the tortuous merge wizard? You may find
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm useful.
You should be able to change the recipients list at will from the
toolbar. --

I am using the recipients button on the merge toolbar.

Thanks for the link but it doesn't seem to work for me. It leads
to a 'page cannot be displayed' message.

Liz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Liz J

I would agree about the corruption problem if it were just this one file it
was happening with. But I have a class full of Year 11 pupils who are also
trying to do this. For some it works, and for some it doesn't.

All are on the same network using the same software. There must be
something slightly different about the way in which they are setting up the
merge but I can't identifiy it.

Thanks for all the help anyway, your time is appreciated

Liz

Liz J wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Are you using the recipients button on the mergte toolbar or
trying to steer through the tortuous merge wizard? You may find
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm useful.
You should be able to change the recipients list at will from the
toolbar. --

I am using the recipients button on the merge toolbar.

Thanks for the link but it doesn't seem to work for me. It leads
to a 'page cannot be displayed' message.

Liz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Liz J

Yes, it is definitely the blue arrow that has been greyed. The one at the
top of the column that was used to filter.

When I click on the arrow, All is an option but choosing it just results in
the few records that I have just used.

Choosing Clear doesn't do anything and neither does advanced. The system
does not seem to think that there has been any selection. It is as if the
database only has those records once I have selected the filter.

Liz

Liz J wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Are you using the recipients button on the mergte toolbar or trying
to steer through the tortuous merge wizard? You may find
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm useful. You
should be able to change the recipients list at will from the
toolbar. --

I am using the recipients button on the merge toolbar.

Thanks for the link but it doesn't seem to work for me. It leads to
a 'page cannot be displayed' message.

Liz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Liz J

No, the students have their own templates etc.

Someone on the teachers ng suggested that we might be producing a data list
by mistake rather than filtering. I am not near my 2003 version at the
moment but I will investigate that. Is it easy to do a data list by
mistake?

Liz