Gary Dotzlaw

Default Mail Merge in Graphics

I am looking for some assistance. I have been trying to do a simple
"InsertPicture" with a mail merge using Word 2003 SP2 (also tried with Word
2000). In neither instance can I get it to work; no image appears in the
document even after ALT-F9, merging to a new document, or in Print Preview.

I studied extensively the example as posted he
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm
without any success.

I have attempted the most basic of examples, using a new Word document with
only the code:
{ IncludePicture "C:\\Images\\1.jpg" }
and still can not even get this to work.

Ideally I need to have the image and path coming from a nested field like
this:
{ IncludePicture "{MERGEFIELD "FullName"}" }
using a simple tab-delimited text data source file.

Can anyone actually get this to work? If so, post the document so I can see
how it works.

Thanks,

Gary

Anne Troy

The only thing I can offer is that Cindy Meister also has an article; I did
not compare it with Graham's.
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MergFram.htm I do know that
sometimes something misunderstood by one person can be understood by
another...
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Gary Dotzlaw" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Are you using Ctrl+F9 to insert the field delimiters { }?

If you are, and there is a picture with the name 1.jpg in the c:\images
folder, then that should result in a picture being shown in the document.

What actually do you see in the document in place of the picture? If it is
an empty rectangle, then you need to select Options from the Tools menu and
on the View tab, uncheck the Picture Placeholders item.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

[...]

Gary Dotzlaw

Yes, there is a picture called 1.jpg in c:\images.

No, nothing shows, not even a picture placeholder.

I appreciate the answers, but has anyone actually tried this? It does not
appear to work as documented. I am preparing to open a tech incident with
Microsoft because I need this solved.

Gary

Gary Dotzlaw

Followed her sample to the letter and it does not work. Nothing appears, not
even an image placeholder.

Have you tried this and been able to get it to work?

Her sample is identical to Grahams. Not sure what is wrong but this does not
work with either Word 2000 on Win 2000, or Word 2003 on Win 2003.

Help.

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
[...]

Anne Troy

Okay, Gary. You sure the pictures aren't there?
http://www.officearticles.com/word/m...osoft_word.htm

Are you perhaps seeing the fields instead of the pictures? Maybe you need to
turn OFF viewing them?
http://www.officearticles.com/word/v...osoft_word.htm

I can't imagine what else it would be, but I'm willing to take a look.
************

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
[...]

Anne Troy

Okay, Gary. I did get it to work. My sample is at
http://www.officearticles.com/downlo...rgepictest.zip
Just copy the pictures folder to the C drive. It was NOT easy... so, I
feel your pain.
To make my test one work, save the MergePictures folder to the C drive. Open
the main document, merge to a new document. In the new document hit Ctrl+A
then F9 to update.

************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Gary Dotzlaw" wrote in message
Yes, there is a picture called 1.jpg in c:\images.

No, nothing shows, not even a picture placeholder.

I appreciate the answers, but has anyone actually tried this? It does not
appear to work as documented. I am preparing to open a tech incident with
Microsoft because I need this solved.

Gary

Gary Dotzlaw

Anne,

Thank you so much. That worked.

I'm surprised at how different it is from all the examples I see everywhere.
I never would have guessed to try the \* MERGEFORMAT before the path. Not
sure how everyone got this wrong (including MSDN) and you figured it out.

Gary

Anne Troy

Gary: I used the Insert--Field menus to insert the IncludePicture field and
that showed up. I am not positive it had anything to do with it, but it
worked, so... Merge fields have always been difficult for me but because
of people like you, I stick with it! I am learning, ever so slowly...
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Gary Dotzlaw" wrote in message
Anne,

Thank you so much. That worked.

I'm surprised at how different it is from all the examples I see
everywhere. I never would have guessed to try the \* MERGEFORMAT before
the path. Not sure how everyone got this wrong (including MSDN) and you
figured it out.

Gary

Gary Dotzlaw

I should have tried the Insert Field menu. I was too focused on following
the Microsoft and technical examples on the web.

One last thing, if you know VBA.

What line of code is equivalent to the refresh (F9)?

I understand how to handle the rest, having written VBA before.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary Dotzlaw

Okay, I got it.

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

Thanks for all your help.

Gary

Anne Troy

Sure. If you're into VBA, check out the knowledgebase here for all kinds of
goodies:
www.vbaexpress.com/kb/kblist.php (Join their forum for free and you can
search the kb, too.)
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Gary Dotzlaw" wrote in message
Okay, I got it.

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

Thanks for all your help.

Gary

Graham Mayor

The images on the web page were screen shots from Word with this working -
so it clearly works as shown.
Why it is prevented from doing so on your hardware is a different issue
entirely

Gary Dotzlaw wrote:
Yes, there is a picture called 1.jpg in c:\images.

No, nothing shows, not even a picture placeholder.

I appreciate the answers, but has anyone actually tried this? It does
not appear to work as documented. I am preparing to open a tech
incident with Microsoft because I need this solved.

Gary

Anne Troy

Very weird, Graham. I couldn't get it to work either. I looked and looked
and looked again and again at the syntax...
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

Gary Dotzlaw wrote:
Yes, there is a picture called 1.jpg in c:\images.

No, nothing shows, not even a picture placeholder.

I appreciate the answers, but has anyone actually tried this? It does
not appear to work as documented. I am preparing to open a tech
incident with Microsoft because I need this solved.

Gary

Dixie

Gary, where do you put that code? I am doing automation from Access. Would
I put it there, or does it have to be in each word template?

dixie

"Gary Dotzlaw" wrote in message
Okay, I got it.

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

Thanks for all your help.

Gary

Dixie

The answer I think is that in Word 2000 SR-1 and Word 2002 SP2 Microsoft
changed the behaviour of several things like INCLUDEPICTURE and INCLUDETEXT
possibly to patch a security issue. They describe the changes and possible
registry patches at the following page.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330079

I have just run into the same problem and am still nutting it through - I'd
love to be able to achieve it without a registry change at each site that
does the mailmerges.

dixie

Gary Dotzlaw wrote:
Yes, there is a picture called 1.jpg in c:\images.

No, nothing shows, not even a picture placeholder.

I appreciate the answers, but has anyone actually tried this? It does
not appear to work as documented. I am preparing to open a tech
incident with Microsoft because I need this solved.

Gary

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I assume that this is related to your later post, though that mentioned
nothing about automation from Access.

I gather that what you are doing is creating letters with data from Access
that you want to appear with a letter head that contains a graphic. You
should design the Template with the graphic in the letter head and the best
way to put it there is to use the Picture item on the Insert menu.

--

"Dixie" wrote in message
Gary, where do you put that code? I am doing automation from Access.
Would I put it there, or does it have to be in each word template?

dixie

"Gary Dotzlaw" wrote in message
Okay, I got it.

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

Thanks for all your help.

Gary

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CSFlanagan

On another subject...
Is it possible to insert the Name Field Suffix from Outlook using the Insert
Address button? I can get the Title, Surname, Given name, address, phone,
fax, etc. (For example, Mr. William J. Peters, Sr. is not the same as Mr.
William J. Peters, III). I also have clients who are P.E. (Professional
Engineers) and AIA (architects) and I'd like to include these suffixes in
correspondences.
Thanks,
Scott

"Anne Troy" wrote:

Sure. If you're into VBA, check out the knowledgebase here for all kinds of
goodies:
www.vbaexpress.com/kb/kblist.php (Join their forum for free and you can
search the kb, too.)
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Gary Dotzlaw" wrote in message
Okay, I got it.

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

Thanks for all your help.

Gary

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

No. But you can do so with Mail Merge -
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm
The fields that are available with Insert Address are listed at
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm

"Anne Troy" wrote:

Sure. If you're into VBA, check out the knowledgebase here for all
kinds of goodies:
www.vbaexpress.com/kb/kblist.php (Join their forum for free and you
can search the kb, too.)
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Gary Dotzlaw" wrote in message
Okay, I got it.

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

Thanks for all your help.

Gary

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Snowman53

Anne,

I downloaded your example & it came closer to working than anything else I
tried. It actually showed be a graphic - however it shows the first graphic
for every record.

I merged to a new document, did Ctrl+A & F9, but still shows the "1.jpg"
image on every page.

This shouldn't be so hard!

Thanks for your help.