Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nigel Davies

Default Images shrink in HTML mail merge to email

I have created a newsletter in Word 2003 consisting of a table with text and
several images in separate table cells. When merged to email in HTML format
(Outlook 2003 / Excel 2003 database) and viewed in Outlook, the table
increases in width by about 10% and the images all shrink by about 25%. This
affects the appearance of the newsletter and the line breaks of text.
I have tried locking the table and column widths (Table, Table Properties)
to no avail. I can fix the graphics with a kludge by making them 25% too big
in Word so that they shrink back to the appropriate size in the email but
this is not very elegant - and doesn't fix the table width problem.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Anne Troy

Well, I cannot imagine about the images except that perhaps you're viewing
your Word doc at 75% or something? Anyway, the tables... set them to a %
width of the page instead of inches or cm. It works far better. If you like
lots of space on left and right, try 60% width on your table, and be sure to
center your table on the page. This makes a pretty sharp looking newsletter.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Nigel Davies" wrote in message
I have created a newsletter in Word 2003 consisting of a table with text
and
several images in separate table cells. When merged to email in HTML
format
(Outlook 2003 / Excel 2003 database) and viewed in Outlook, the table
increases in width by about 10% and the images all shrink by about 25%.
This
affects the appearance of the newsletter and the line breaks of text.
I have tried locking the table and column widths (Table, Table Properties)
to no avail. I can fix the graphics with a kludge by making them 25% too
big
in Word so that they shrink back to the appropriate size in the email but
this is not very elegant - and doesn't fix the table width problem.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nigel Davies

Thanks for your suggestions, Anne:

Well, I cannot imagine about the images except that perhaps you're viewing
your Word doc at 75% or something?

No - 100%!

Anyway, the tables... set them to a %
width of the page instead of inches or cm. It works far better. If you like
lots of space on left and right, try 60% width on your table, and be sure to
center your table on the page. This makes a pretty sharp looking newsletter.

Nice idea. Tried it but the table still expands by 10% in the email. Also
tried linking the images, rather than embedding, and cropping / scaling them
outside Word, rather than in Word, but the images still shrink!

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Anne Troy

Best I can offer is to have a look. Just send to any name at my web below,
and I'll receive it.
************
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

As you have no control over how the recipients will view the email when they
receive it, you would be a lot better off sending the newsletter as an
attachment to an email merge.

See the article "Mail Merge to E-mail with Attachments" at

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

If each newsletter is personalised, so that you need a separate file for
each recipient, see the "Individual Merge Letters" item on fellow MVP Graham
Mayor's website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

You can use the add-in that I have created and which can be downloaded from
that site to create such individual newsletters either as Word documents or
as .pdf documents which would be better.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nigel Davies" wrote in message
I have created a newsletter in Word 2003 consisting of a table with text
and
several images in separate table cells. When merged to email in HTML
format
(Outlook 2003 / Excel 2003 database) and viewed in Outlook, the table
increases in width by about 10% and the images all shrink by about 25%.
This
affects the appearance of the newsletter and the line breaks of text.
I have tried locking the table and column widths (Table, Table Properties)
to no avail. I can fix the graphics with a kludge by making them 25% too
big
in Word so that they shrink back to the appropriate size in the email but
this is not very elegant - and doesn't fix the table width problem.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nigel Davies

Thank you Anne and Doug for your replies. Given my requirements (html format
in the body of the email, rather than as an attachment) I have switched to
DreamWeaver to create the newsletter and copied it to an Outlook email form
via Internet Explorer.
Yes, its no longer a mail merge this way and I have to use BCC for the
mailing, but the newsletter at least retains a consistent appearance in the
browser. There also appears to be an additional benefit in that the file size
has reduced from 126Kb to 45Kb.