Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default transferring index contents into text file

Hi

I am trying to extract the contents of an index Word 2002 created into a
simple text file I can send to the book publishers who need it as a PC
file. When I copy and paste the index into a new separate Word file and
then try to print it, the new index changes into an error message.

How can I create a new file containing the index text formatted the way
it is presently formatted in the original document?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Open the document that contains the index. Select the index. Press
Ctrl+Shift+F9 to convert the index field to ordinary text. Copy and
paste the index text to a new document. Close the original document
without saving changes.

Jeff wrote:

Hi

I am trying to extract the contents of an index Word 2002 created into a
simple text file I can send to the book publishers who need it as a PC
file. When I copy and paste the index into a new separate Word file and
then try to print it, the new index changes into an error message.

How can I create a new file containing the index text formatted the way
it is presently formatted in the original document?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

Thank you Suzanne. Is it Ctrl+Shift+F9 that unlinks it?

Thanks.

Jeff

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
You can equally well copy and paste the "live" index into a new
document; just unlink it before you print (printing updates fields).

"Jeff" wrote in message
Aha! Thank you.

Jeff

Jeff wrote:

Hi

I am trying to extract the contents of an index Word 2002 created
into a simple text file I can send to the book publishers who need
it as a PC file. When I copy and paste the index into a new
separate Word file and then try to print it, the new index changes
into an error message. How can I create a new file containing the
index text formatted the
way it is presently formatted in the original document?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Yes.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

You can equally well copy and paste the "live" index into a new
document; just unlink it before you print (printing updates fields).

"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .

Aha! Thank you.

Jeff