Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Including Endnote references in book Index

Using Word 2002 in Windows XP.

I am able to mark (Alt-Shift-X) certain words in a book's endnotes as
entries to be appear in the book's index. However, I noticed that
updating the index (F9) does not make these endnote index entries appear
in the resulting index. This might be because the index field in my
document is located at the end of the document but before where the
endnotes begin.

Is it possible to place the index after rather than before where the
endnotes begin and would that make endnote entries appear in the
resulting updated index? Is there another way to make them appear in
the index?

Thank you.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The endnotes should definitely appear before the index (this is
conventional); to achieve this, see the instructions in
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...TextAfterNotes.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Using Word 2002 in Windows XP.

I am able to mark (Alt-Shift-X) certain words in a book's endnotes as
entries to be appear in the book's index. However, I noticed that
updating the index (F9) does not make these endnote index entries appear
in the resulting index. This might be because the index field in my
document is located at the end of the document but before where the
endnotes begin.

Is it possible to place the index after rather than before where the
endnotes begin and would that make endnote entries appear in the
resulting updated index? Is there another way to make them appear in
the index?

Thank you.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

I knew that the Index should come after the endnotes but word just would
not let me .... Thanks for the link that shows me how to do it.

Jeff Malka

"Jeff" wrote in message
Using Word 2002 in Windows XP.

I am able to mark (Alt-Shift-X) certain words in a book's endnotes as
entries to be appear in the book's index. However, I noticed that
updating the index (F9) does not make these endnote index entries
appear in the resulting index. This might be because the index
field in my document is located at the end of the document but
before where the endnotes begin.

Is it possible to place the index after rather than before where the
endnotes begin and would that make endnote entries appear in the
resulting updated index? Is there another way to make them appear in
the index?

Thank you.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

Dear Suzanne,

I hate to bother you with silly questions but I am having trouble
following the directions in the reference page you kindly gave me.

I'm working in Word 2002 and this long document already has 800+
existing endnotes and a 14 page Index - which because I could not force
Word to let me do otherwise - is presently located in the document
before the endnotes.

Following the instructions in
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...TextAfterNotes

1. I've switched to "Normal view" went to the end of the document
(Ctrl-End) and inserted a Section Break (Next Page).

2. I went to the mbeginning of te first endnote and selected "Note
Options" in which I changed to "End of Section" location and applied it
to the whole document.

But, I am not sure what I now have to do to move or recreate the index
in the correct position after the endnotes. What view should I switch
to and what exactly do i need to do.

Hope that is clear Suzanne.

Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
Using Word 2002 in Windows XP.

I am able to mark (Alt-Shift-X) certain words in a book's endnotes as
entries to be appear in the book's index. However, I noticed that
updating the index (F9) does not make these endnote index entries
appear in the resulting index. This might be because the index
field in my document is located at the end of the document but
before where the endnotes begin.

Is it possible to place the index after rather than before where the
endnotes begin and would that make endnote entries appear in the
resulting updated index? Is there another way to make them appear in
the index?

Thank you.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Now, for each section from the beginning of the document to the next-to-last
section preceding the index, section by section, go to the Layout tab of
Page Setup and check the box for "Suppress endnotes." Leave the box
unchecked for the section that should come immediately before the endnotes
(that is, the section preceding the index). When you have done that and
switch back to Page Layout view, you should find that the endnotes and index
have switched places.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Using Word 2002 in Windows XP.

I am able to mark (Alt-Shift-X) certain words in a book's endnotes as
entries to be appear in the book's index. However, I noticed that
updating the index (F9) does not make these endnote index entries
appear in the resulting index. This might be because the index
field in my document is located at the end of the document but
before where the endnotes begin.

Is it possible to place the index after rather than before where the
endnotes begin and would that make endnote entries appear in the
resulting updated index? Is there another way to make them appear in
the index?

Thank you.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jeff Jeff is offline

Sorry for being obtuse, but I went to each section and in each case (all
of them) the "Suppress endnotes" box was grayed out (but had a check
mark in it). Weird.

I then decided to go all the way:
1. I searched for and deleted ALL section breaks (did not need them in
this document anyway)
2. I switched to Normal view (as per web instructions) went to Ctrl-End
and inserted a Section Break (Next Page) at that point (Endnotes are not
visible).
3. I looked at the section above that newly inserted Section Break
(which in Normal view contained the index but which did not show the
endnotes) and this time "Page Setup/Layout did have the "Suppress
endnotes" box not grayed out and selected.
4. Put the cursor past the section break and changed the "Suppress
endnotes" to unchecked.

Index is still present before the endnotes. Achh!!

I'm doing something wrong but do not know what.

(The endnote options has "Location" as "End of section").

Jeff

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Now, for each section from the beginning of the document to the
next-to-last
section preceding the index, section by section, go to the Layout tab
of
Page Setup and check the box for "Suppress endnotes." Leave the box
unchecked for the section that should come immediately before the
endnotes
(that is, the section preceding the index). When you have done that
and
switch back to Page Layout view, you should find that the endnotes and
have switched places.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Using Word 2002 in Windows XP.

I am able to mark (Alt-Shift-X) certain words in a book's endnotes
as
entries to be appear in the book's index. However, I noticed that
updating the index (F9) does not make these endnote index entries
appear in the resulting index. This might be because the index
field in my document is located at the end of the document but
before where the endnotes begin.

Is it possible to place the index after rather than before where
the
endnotes begin and would that make endnote entries appear in the
resulting updated index? Is there another way to make them appear
in
the index?

Thank you.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You'll need to insert a section break at the point where you want the
endnotes to appear. Since there's ordinarily a section break before the
index anyway, that should suffice, but if you have something above the index
(a single-column heading, for example, while the index is in double
columns), then you'll need to insert another and force the endnotes to
appear before that.

Also, a grayed box generally indicates mixed settings. This would be the
case if you had "Whole document" selected for the "Apply to" as opposed to
"This section."