Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OE OE is offline

Default Keep with next

I have a problem with certain styles and Keep with Next. For example, I have
Heading 3, a numbered paragraph, set to keep with next. My next paragraph
style is called BT2.

When the text goes onto the next page, Heading 3 is kept on one page and BT2
taken to the next. The only way I can get round this is manually setting
Keep Lines Together.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

If Heading 3 and the numbered paragraph are both set to Keep With Next, it
should work. Are these styles set for Keep with Next?

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"oe" wrote in message
I have a problem with certain styles and Keep with Next. For example, I
have Heading 3, a numbered paragraph, set to keep with next. My next
paragraph style is called BT2.

When the text goes onto the next page, Heading 3 is kept on one page and
BT2 taken to the next. The only way I can get round this is manually
setting Keep Lines Together.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

My guess is that you're inserting an empty paragraph to create space between
the heading and Body Text paragraph (by pressing Enter twice). The result is
a good example of why this is discouraged. Add some Space After to your
Heading 3 style instead.

"oe" wrote in message
I have a problem with certain styles and Keep with Next. For example, I

have
Heading 3, a numbered paragraph, set to keep with next. My next paragraph
style is called BT2.

When the text goes onto the next page, Heading 3 is kept on one page and

BT2
taken to the next. The only way I can get round this is manually setting
Keep Lines Together.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OE OE is offline

No, I'm not adding a paragraph space - I definitely have the styles as
stated. That is why I can't understand it!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
My guess is that you're inserting an empty paragraph to create space
between
the heading and Body Text paragraph (by pressing Enter twice). The result
is
a good example of why this is discouraged. Add some Space After to your
Heading 3 style instead.

so
all may benefit.

"oe" wrote in message
I have a problem with certain styles and Keep with Next. For example, I

have
Heading 3, a numbered paragraph, set to keep with next. My next paragraph
style is called BT2.

When the text goes onto the next page, Heading 3 is kept on one page and

BT2
taken to the next. The only way I can get round this is manually setting
Keep Lines Together.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Make sure that the Body Text style is not also formatted as KWN. If *all*
paragraphs have that formatting, then Word throws up its hands and breaks
the page whenever it's full.

"oe" wrote in message
No, I'm not adding a paragraph space - I definitely have the styles as
stated. That is why I can't understand it!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
My guess is that you're inserting an empty paragraph to create space
between
the heading and Body Text paragraph (by pressing Enter twice). The

result
is
a good example of why this is discouraged. Add some Space After to your
Heading 3 style instead.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"oe" wrote in message
I have a problem with certain styles and Keep with Next. For example, I

have
Heading 3, a numbered paragraph, set to keep with next. My next

paragraph
style is called BT2.

When the text goes onto the next page, Heading 3 is kept on one page

and
BT2
taken to the next. The only way I can get round this is manually

setting
Keep Lines Together.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OE OE is offline

They are formatted like this:

Heading 3:
Normal + Font 11pt, all caps, Indent: left 1.75, hanging 1 cm. Justified.
Space after 12 pt KWN, Level 3, ....

(Next para) BT2:
Left 1.5 ....

Nothing amiss there that I can see. What am I missing?!!!

"oe" wrote in message
I have a problem with certain styles and Keep with Next. For example,
have
Heading 3, a numbered paragraph, set to keep with next. My next

paragraph
style is called BT2.

When the text goes onto the next page, Heading 3 is kept on one page

and
BT2
taken to the next. The only way I can get round this is manually

setting
Keep Lines Together.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Nothing that I can see, though 12 pts Space After seems excessive to me,
especially for 11-point text. As a general rule, you should have at least
twice as much space before a heading as after, and usually 3-6 points is
enough if the body text is single-spaced.

"oe" wrote in message
I have a problem with certain styles and Keep with Next. For

example,
have
Heading 3, a numbered paragraph, set to keep with next. My next

paragraph
style is called BT2.

When the text goes onto the next page, Heading 3 is kept on one page

and
BT2
taken to the next. The only way I can get round this is manually

setting
Keep Lines Together.

Can anyone help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Well unless there is a hidden paragraph between the heading and following
paragraph, I don't understand why it isn't working. Are you able to make the
document available to us?

Terry

"oe" wrote in message
They are formatted like this:

Heading 3:
Normal + Font 11pt, all caps, Indent: left 1.75, hanging 1 cm.
Justified. Space after 12 pt KWN, Level 3, ....

(Next para) BT2:
Left 1.5 ....

Nothing amiss there that I can see. What am I missing?!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OE OE is offline

Sorry I can't send document, it is a very long specification.
Re. Suzanne's comments regarding the spacing - all the paragraphs have 12
before and after. This works well as contractors like space for their own
use, to make notes when pricing.

I have checked everything again - no hidden paragraphs, etc. I will just
have to check through at the end and use Keep Lines Together if the heading
becomes separated from its following paragraph.

Thanks for trying, anyway!

"oe" wrote in message
They are formatted like this:

Heading 3:
Normal + Font 11pt, all caps, Indent: left 1.75, hanging 1 cm.
Justified. Space after 12 pt KWN, Level 3, ....

(Next para) BT2:
Left 1.5 ....

Nothing amiss there that I can see. What am I missing?!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OE OE is offline

Hi Terry

I have managed to take an excerpt from a document which gives an example of
the problem. Would it be possible to email it to you rather than to the
whole group, please?

TIA.