Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BenT BenT is offline

Default Grouping

Hi
I have Vista and Word 2007.
I was able to group pictures with shapes with XP.
I am unable to group pictures with shapes with Vista and Word 2007.
Can someone help.? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, greatly appreciated.
Bent
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mary Sauer Mary Sauer is offline

Select all the objects, right-click, group.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"BenT" wrote in message
Hi
I have Vista and Word 2007.
I was able to group pictures with shapes with XP.
I am unable to group pictures with shapes with Vista and Word 2007.
Can someone help.? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, greatly appreciated.
Bent

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BenT BenT is offline

Thanks for responding.
I can select all objects, but when I select the picture it unselects the objects.
Appreciate any other ideas.
Bent

"BenT" wrote in message
Hi
I have Vista and Word 2007.
I was able to group pictures with shapes with XP.
I am unable to group pictures with shapes with Vista and Word 2007.
Can someone help.? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, greatly appreciated.
Bent

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

This is a known problem/issue in Word 2007 when working in .docx documents.
The implementation of a new graphics "engine" has rendered some Word 2003
and earlier actions less accessible. A number of us hope that this will be
fixed in an update. However, since we're sensible, we're not holding our
collective breath, and have devised a couple of work-arounds.

You have two options:

Option 1. Put all of your objects onto the dreaded Drawing Canvas. Once
done, you can now group them. Furthermore, once they've been grouped there,
they can be copied and pasted into the document, without needing to keep the
canvas.

Option 2. Work in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode uses the
older-style graphics, and you can still group as you could in Word 2003 and
earlier, without using the damnable Drawing Canvas. Once you've grouped
everything you need to, you can convert the document into .docx format and
the groupability will be retained.

I find the drawing canvas somewhat clumsy, so I find Option 2 works better
for me.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"BenT" wrote in message
Hi
I have Vista and Word 2007.
I was able to group pictures with shapes with XP.
I am unable to group pictures with shapes with Vista and Word 2007.
Can someone help.? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, greatly appreciated.
Bent

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BenT BenT is offline

Herb
This is what I do at my job.
The compatibility mode works great.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
Bent

"BenT" wrote in message
Hi
I have Vista and Word 2007.
I was able to group pictures with shapes with XP.
I am unable to group pictures with shapes with Vista and Word 2007.
Can someone help.? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, greatly appreciated.
Bent

Grouping in Word Hezzy Microsoft Word Help 7 March 8th 07 10:06 PM
grouping objects Patti Tables 1 November 16th 06 01:18 PM
Grouping Mary Lee Page Layout 1 June 20th 05 11:16 PM
grouping Susan Microsoft Word Help 1 June 14th 05 08:24 PM
Grouping bookmarks Botkyrka; a part of Europe Formatting Long Documents 3 January 6th 05 03:21 PM