Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pat Miller Pat Miller is offline

Default Character Map Key Assignment

I am typing text for a booklet on card games. I need to make the club,
diamond, heart & spade available on the keyboard. How do I assign the
symbols from the character map to the keyboard? Can I use function keys 9,
10, 11 & 12 for the assignment? If yes, I would appreciate detailed
instruction on how to do this. If no, please make a suggestion.
Regards,
Pat

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Presumably you are using some version of Word? SO use AutoText. Insert,
Symbol and select the Symbol Font where you will find the predefined H, C, D
& S symbols. Insert them into a blank document and make them the size that
you need. Select one of the symbols (let's say the Diamond), and then press
Alt+F3. Type in a memorable shortcut (I suggest diam) followed by enter. Now
to insert the diamond symbol at any time, type diam+F3. Do the same for the
other symbols.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Pat Miller" wrote in message
I am typing text for a booklet on card games. I need to make the club,
diamond, heart & spade available on the keyboard. How do I assign the
symbols from the character map to the keyboard? Can I use function keys
9,
10, 11 & 12 for the assignment? If yes, I would appreciate detailed
instruction on how to do this. If no, please make a suggestion.
Regards,
Pat

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

These characters can be found at Unicode positions 2660, 2663, 2665, and
2666 in many fonts (including the Windows Core Fonts). In the Insert |
Symbol dialog, you can select one of these characters and click AutoCorrect
or Shortcut Key to assign a keyboard shortcut. For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm.

"Pat Miller" wrote in message
I am typing text for a booklet on card games. I need to make the club,
diamond, heart & spade available on the keyboard. How do I assign the
symbols from the character map to the keyboard? Can I use function keys

9,
10, 11 & 12 for the assignment? If yes, I would appreciate detailed
instruction on how to do this. If no, please make a suggestion.
Regards,
Pat

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pat Miller Pat Miller is offline

Many thanks for the replies. Special thanks to Suzanne for the good info on
Key Assignment. It was quick and very easy.
Regards,
Pat Miller

"Pat Miller" wrote in message
:I am typing text for a booklet on card games. I need to make the club,
: diamond, heart & spade available on the keyboard. How do I assign the
: symbols from the character map to the keyboard? Can I use function keys
9,
: 10, 11 & 12 for the assignment? If yes, I would appreciate detailed
: instruction on how to do this. If no, please make a suggestion.
: Regards,
: Pat
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I still learn something new every day: I hadn't realised that so many fonts
actually had those symbols.

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Glad I could help.

so
all may benefit.

"Pat Miller" wrote in message
:I am typing text for a booklet on card games. I need to make the club,
: diamond, heart & spade available on the keyboard. How do I assign the
: symbols from the character map to the keyboard? Can I use function
keys
9,
: 10, 11 & 12 for the assignment? If yes, I would appreciate detailed
: instruction on how to do this. If no, please make a suggestion.
: Regards,
: Pat
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, of course in the bad old days of ASCII/ANSI fonts, they didn't. But
the newer Unicode fonts are much larger. If there were any chance the font
might be changed to one that doesn't contain the symbols, of course it would
still be safer to insert them from Wingdings or whatever.

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
I still learn something new every day: I hadn't realised that so many

fonts
actually had those symbols.

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message