Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
archana gorade archana gorade is offline

Default what is the use of style based on in creating a style ?

when i tried to apply the new style with the option of style based on of
existing user created style i got a message "This style has a circular Based
On list."

Why is it so ?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Why is it so ?

Because you've done something wrong!

What new style, what is it based on, etc.? Some pertinent detail would be a
great help in determining the cause of your problem.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"archana gorade" archana wrote in message
when i tried to apply the new style with the option of style based on of
existing user created style i got a message "This style has a circular
Based
On list."

Why is it so ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cordova cordova is offline

I have the same problem when I tried to right click to update a style based
on a selection. I checked the current style properties and it is based on (No
style).

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

Why is it so ?

Because you've done something wrong!

What new style, what is it based on, etc.? Some pertinent detail would be a
great help in determining the cause of your problem.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"archana gorade" archana wrote in message
when i tried to apply the new style with the option of style based on of
existing user created style i got a message "This style has a circular
Based
On list."

Why is it so ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anup Tawde Anup Tawde is offline

Hi,

When numbering is associated with a style, Word sets a pointer in the style
definition that links the style with a List Template in the document. The
style does not store the numbering List Template; the style merely indicates
which List Template to use.

This exposes us to the danger of circular references. If, say, your Heading
1 style points to Outline List Template 4, the List Template can point to
nine styles, one for each level of the list. In fact, one of the hard and
fast rules of defining outline List Templates is that you must never
associate the same style with more than one level. Unfortunately, Word does
not prevent this.

Sometimes in a corrupt document, it happens that Heading 1 points to one
List Template, Heading 2 to another, and Heading 3 to yet another. But each
of the List Templates have nine levels, so each List Template points back at
nine styles (a circular reference).

--
Regards,
Anup