Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Andy Fish Andy Fish is offline

Default moving table rows in word 2007

Hi all,

This is one of those "it's so broken i must be getting the wrong idea"
things...

in word 2007 whenever i try to move some rows within a table, it splits the
table into 3 tables - the rows before the ones I moved; the rows i moved; and
the rows after. the 3 tables abut each other and I can't see any way to join
them back together into 1 table.

This happens every time in every document - it's not just a one-off
corrupted table problem. it happens whether i use cut and paste or drag and
drop.

the only way I can move or copy is to make space in the table by inserting
new rows and then copy the contents by making sure I only select the cells,
not the entire row (i.e. not selecting the end-of-row marker)

any clues please - am i missing a patch or something? this makes word tables
unusable for me with office 20087

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

What happens if you click in a row in the middle of a table (you do not need
to select the entire row) and press Alt+Shift+Up Arrow or Down Arrow €“ does
this also split the table?

Note that If the topmost row(s) are in the selection and if the table is not
in the start of the document, this method will split the row(s) from the
original table.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Andy Fish" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Andy Fish Andy Fish is offline

hmm, thanks for the tip - those keystrokes work without splitting the table

incidentally it seems that I was wrong about it happening every time - I
just created a new blank document and it didn't happen.

it has happened several times on different documents from different sources.
the only link i can find is that they were all large tables in landscape
mode which ran across several pages

Andy

news

"Andy Fish" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I am wondering/guessing: Did you press Ctrl+Return to insert page breaks in
the original tables in order to push rows to the next page page?

If that is the case, it could explain what happens. A page break splits a
table into two. If you move rows around, the page break may no longer fall at
the bottom of the page and this may make it obvious that you have more than
one table.

You can see the page breaks if you turn on non-printing characters
(Ctrl+Shift+8). If you click in a table and select Table Select Table,
you can also check how much is selected €“ the command selects an entire table.

If you need page breaks in a table, select all of or part of the row you
want to start on a new page. Then select Format Paragraph Line and Page
Breaks tab and turn on €śPage break before€ť. This will not split the table.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Andy Fish" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
eknebel eknebel is offline

I, too have the same problem. I paste a row and then it break apart the table
into three pieces that cannot be joined. Please help!

"Andy Fish" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

This usually happens if you are pasting from one table to another, and the
tables have different settings for "Text wrapping" (on the Table tab of the
Table Properties dialog box). Make sure both tables have "Text wrapping" set
to "None," and then try again.

If you are copying/pasting within a single table--did you try the other
suggestions in this thread?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

[...]

Breaks tab and turn on "Page break before". This will not split the
table.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Andy Fish" wrote:

hmm, thanks for the tip - those keystrokes work without splitting the
table

incidentally it seems that I was wrong about it happening every time -
just created a new blank document and it didn't happen.

it has happened several times on different documents from different
sources.
the only link i can find is that they were all large tables in
landscape
mode which ran across several pages

Andy

"Lene Fredborg" wrote in message
news What happens if you click in a row in the middle of a table (you do
not
need
to select the entire row) and press Alt+Shift+Up Arrow or Down
Arrow -
does
this also split the table?

Note that If the topmost row(s) are in the selection and if the table
is
not
in the start of the document, this method will split the row(s) from
the
original table.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg
DocTools - Denmark
www.thedoctools.com
Document automation - add-ins, macros and templates for Microsoft
Word

"Andy Fish" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Nick Ryberg Nick Ryberg is offline

This is just within the same table. In 2003, you could select a row with
your mouse and drag that row up and down the table to reorder them. Now when
you do that, it creates multiple separate tables out of the original single
table.

FYI, I tried setting Text Wrapping for the table to "None" and it didn't
have an effect on this problem.

Using the keystrokes (SHIFT+ALT+ [up/down]) works the way this should behave.

"eknebel" wrote in message
I, too have the same problem. I paste a row and then it break apart the
table
into three pieces that cannot be joined. Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
BagelC BagelC is offline

It would be nice if when you do a search in the help on moving rows in a
table this key combination actual came up. In stead the recommendation is to
use the drag and drop technique.

"Andy Fish" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

At the bottom of the help topic use the feedback buttons to suggest that to Microsoft. They do make changes help more quickly than
in the program

============
"BagelC" wrote in message ...

It would be nice if when you do a search in the help on moving rows in a
table this key combination actual came up. In stead the recommendation is to
use the drag and drop technique.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
pridmorej pridmorej is offline

Hi. It is happened to me as well. Cut and Paste or Drag and Drop splits the
table into 3. However, Shift+Alt+Up/Down moves the rows up/down as expected.

I didn't notice this behaviour when I first had word 2007 installed.
Perhaps it has been broken in an Office Update?

Please fix this Microsoft!

Jeremy