Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
whit whit is offline

Default removing unwanted formatting from word

I built a new chapter from pieces of previous chapters and somehow imported
an impossible "line" I suspect is a section break, a double line that refuses
to be defined and removed. It collects all endnotes below the line and denies
use of endnotes beyond that point. It creates two "worlds" in the chapter,
the one above and below the line. I've tried doing a search and replace with
^b and it says it finds no section breaks. Help! I"m wasting all my writing
time trying to get rid of this beast!
--
whit
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you opt to place endnotes at the end of the document, then that's where
they'll be. The line (if it prints) is probably a bizarre Endnote Separator.
If you'll tell us what version you have, we can tell you how to get rid of
it.

http://word.mvps.org

"whit" wrote in message
I built a new chapter from pieces of previous chapters and somehow imported
an impossible "line" I suspect is a section break, a double line that
refuses
to be defined and removed. It collects all endnotes below the line and
denies
use of endnotes beyond that point. It creates two "worlds" in the chapter,
the one above and below the line. I've tried doing a search and replace
with
^b and it says it finds no section breaks. Help! I"m wasting all my
writing
time trying to get rid of this beast!
--
whit

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
whit whit is offline

I would love any advice you have to offer, because I"m about to devote hours
to rebuilding the chapter, and I"m not sure that will work. I originally
wrote it in Word2003, but I'm now working in Word2007. But I have both
laptops, so I can edit in either. A microsoft tech guy spent 45 minutes with
me this morning, entering my computer, and he failed. he said he could only
do it in word2003. So I sent a version to my laptop with Word 2003 but I
still couldn't get rid of it. It's like a cockroach after a nuclear strike. I
think your hunch is right, tho, that's not a section break.
--
whit

"whit" wrote in message
I built a new chapter from pieces of previous chapters and somehow imported
an impossible "line" I suspect is a section break, a double line that
refuses
to be defined and removed. It collects all endnotes below the line and
denies
use of endnotes beyond that point. It creates two "worlds" in the chapter,
the one above and below the line. I've tried doing a search and replace
with
^b and it says it finds no section breaks. Help! I"m wasting all my
writing
time trying to get rid of this beast!
--
whit

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As Suzanne indicated, that's exactly the behavior to expect when you
are inserting Endnotes. To modify the Endnote Separator, switch to
Normal View, then go to View Endnotes, and in the top bar of the
window that appears, click the dropdown and select Endnote Separator.
You can Reset it, or you can change it to however you want your
separator to appear.

"whit" wrote in message
I built a new chapter from pieces of previous chapters and somehow imported
an impossible "line" I suspect is a section break, a double line that
refuses
to be defined and removed. It collects all endnotes below the line and
denies
use of endnotes beyond that point. It creates two "worlds" in the chapter,
the one above and below the line. I've tried doing a search and replace
with
^b and it says it finds no section breaks. Help! I"m wasting all my
writing
time trying to get rid of this beast!
--
whit-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Grammatim has told you how to modify the Endnote Separator. Note that
anything in the endnote section is sort of virtual; it is not meant to be
accessed by the user.

http://word.mvps.org