GradStudent

Default Table of Contents Formatting

How do I get three lines to appear as a single line in a table of contents?

For example: I would like
CHAPTER 1

INTRODUCTION

to appear as
CHAPTER 1 INTRODUCTION
in my table of contents.
The text in the body has to be on two separate lines with a blank line in
between.
fiona nelson

Hi,

Does it have to be a blank line (an actual carriage return) in the body of
the paper? If you are submitting a hard copy you'd be better off using a
style with the line spacings set at double spacing. To ensure that the next
line has the same style, use a softt return (hold down shift, press return).
This will keep all the formatting the same and stop Word going into its
default "next style".

This will also help when setting up your TOC, which uses styles to find the
headings etc. See the links below for TOC tips and also a whole range of
tips which will help you set up a realy effective easy to use document.

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm

Hope this helps

Fiona

"GradStudent" wrote:

How do I get three lines to appear as a single line in a table of contents?

For example: I would like
CHAPTER 1

INTRODUCTION

to appear as
CHAPTER 1 INTRODUCTION
in my table of contents.
The text in the body has to be on two separate lines with a blank line in
between.

fiona nelson

I just tested setting up a TOC when I used a soft return (ctrl + enter) in
the body of the text with double spacing to get the effect you were after and
it created a TOC entry as you wanted it formatted.

HTH

Fiona

"GradStudent" wrote:

How do I get three lines to appear as a single line in a table of contents?

For example: I would like
CHAPTER 1

INTRODUCTION

to appear as
CHAPTER 1 INTRODUCTION
in my table of contents.
The text in the body has to be on two separate lines with a blank line in
between.

If you insert two line breaks (Shift+Enter), they will be translated into
two spaces in the TOC. If you want a single space, then change the line
spacing from Single to an Exact or Multiple amount and use a single line
break (but keep in mind that the line spacing will also apply to any long
titles that run over to a second line).

"GradStudent" wrote in message
How do I get three lines to appear as a single line in a table of

contents?

For example: I would like
CHAPTER 1

INTRODUCTION

to appear as
CHAPTER 1 INTRODUCTION
in my table of contents.
The text in the body has to be on two separate lines with a blank line in
between.

GradStudent

Thank you both very much for the excellent responses! The ShiftEnter was
EXACTLY what I needed! (I already had the document set to do double spacing).

THANKS again!

fiona nelson

No problem, glad it helped. It's nice to be able to give back to a forum I
get a lot from.

Fiona