Mel R

Default How do I hide the thumbnail pane in Word 2003?

Somehow the thumbnail pane turned on in Word 2003. I see no Thumbnail entry
in the View menu, and I don't see a way to close the thumbnail pane. I don't
want it now, don't want it to open on startup, and don't want it until I
explicitly summon it. I don't even know how it got there! Thank you.
Tom Smith

I have a thumbnail item in my View menu (also Word 2003). You might want to
check Tools|Customize|Options and make sure that you have the setting for
always show full menus.
HTH Tom

"Mel R" Mel wrote in message
Somehow the thumbnail pane turned on in Word 2003. I see no Thumbnail

entry
in the View menu, and I don't see a way to close the thumbnail pane. I

don't
want it now, don't want it to open on startup, and don't want it until I
explicitly summon it. I don't even know how it got there! Thank you.

Mel R

Always show full menus was already selected. This is how I normally work
with Office. Even so, there is no menu item for thumbnails, and I don't know
where else to look to hide or eliminate thumbnails.

"Mel R" Mel wrote in message
Somehow the thumbnail pane turned on in Word 2003. I see no Thumbnail

entry
in the View menu, and I don't see a way to close the thumbnail pane. I

don't
want it now, don't want it to open on startup, and don't want it until I
explicitly summon it. I don't even know how it got there! Thank you.

Mel R

Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for the tip.
It worked!

As feedback, and with hope it'll help others, here is what I encountered:

Method 1:
There is no "missing command" for thumbnails.
With this method it still goes missing.

Method 2:
This method to reset all menus didn't accomplish anything.
There was no change.

Method 3:
After Normal.dot was renamed and Word reopened,
Word was silent about the loss.
It was just as silent about creating and saving a new Normal.dot.
However, the Thumbnail entry on the View menu was restored
and I looked no further.

Thank you again!
Mel

"Mel R" Mel wrote in message
Somehow the thumbnail pane turned on in Word 2003. I see no Thumbnail
entry
in the View menu, and I don't see a way to close the thumbnail pane.

don't
want it now, don't want it to open on startup, and don't want it until

explicitly summon it. I don't even know how it got there! Thank you.

Well, you might think that you could find the command in Customize as View |
Thumbnail or ViewThumbnail or just Thumbnail. In fact, it's in All Commands
under ToggleThumbnail. sigh

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...oreMenuCmd.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Mel R" Mel wrote in message
Somehow the thumbnail pane turned on in Word 2003. I see no

Thumbnail
entry
in the View menu, and I don't see a way to close the thumbnail

pane.
don't
want it now, don't want it to open on startup, and don't want it

until
explicitly summon it. I don't even know how it got there! Thank

you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helen Helen is offline

Mel and Suzanne,

Don't know if you still receive e-mails for this post, but really, thank
you! And, Mel, your feedback was very, very useful.

Hélène