wmfoster

Default How do I get Word to accept a 4x6 page size?

I am having trouble changing the page size of a Word document. When I try to
select 4 x 6, I get a message from the "Office Assistant", "Settings you
chose for the left and right margins, column spacing or paragraph indnts are
too large for the page width in some sections." And it won't let me choose
that page size.
Pat Garard

G'Day wmfoster,

What you have done is to create a document on a "large"
piece of paper, complete with all of it's "settings for the left
and right margins, column.......etc".

When you try to make the paper smaller, the document
won't fit and Word refuses to say that it will.

EITHER
Go through the document and reduce "settings......." until
Word will permit the paper size change,
OR
Create a New empty document with the correct page
size and so on. Select All the text in the existing document,
Copy it and Paste it into the New document.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"wmfoster" wrote in message
news
I am having trouble changing the page size of a Word document. When I try
select 4 x 6, I get a message from the "Office Assistant", "Settings you
chose for the left and right margins, column spacing or paragraph indnts
are
too large for the page width in some sections." And it won't let me choose
that page size.

wmfoster

Thanks for your response. Actually, the problem I'm having is that every
time I open a new document, the column format is for three columns and a
collumn width of 6 inches. The result is that when I get to the end of the
first page, I go on typing and nothing appears on the screen. If I go to the
"Format" menu and select "Columns" and then set the number of columns to 1,
then the phantom pages appear. What I don't understand is why the "default"
new document is set up so strangely and how to change that. I am sure that I
did something to cause this condition and I can't figure out how to undo
this.

wmfoster
Washington, DC

"Pat Garard" wrote:

G'Day wmfoster,

What you have done is to create a document on a "large"
piece of paper, complete with all of it's "settings for the left
and right margins, column.......etc".

When you try to make the paper smaller, the document
won't fit and Word refuses to say that it will.

EITHER
Go through the document and reduce "settings......." until
Word will permit the paper size change,
OR
Create a New empty document with the correct page
size and so on. Select All the text in the existing document,
Copy it and Paste it into the New document.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

"wmfoster" wrote in message
news
I am having trouble changing the page size of a Word document. When I try
select 4 x 6, I get a message from the "Office Assistant", "Settings you
chose for the left and right margins, column spacing or paragraph indnts
are
too large for the page width in some sections." And it won't let me choose
that page size.

IanRoy

Hi, wmfoster;
Start a new word document, set everything the way you want your new
documents to appear, and File Save As Save as type: Document Template
(*.dot). Your Save in: location should have changed to Templates. There
should be a file there named Normal.dot. Click that to give your new template
that name, and OK to overwrite it.
New blank documents will be based on the template you just saved.
Regards,
Ian.

"Pat Garard" wrote:

G'Day wmfoster,

What you have done is to create a document on a "large"
piece of paper, complete with all of it's "settings for the left
and right margins, column.......etc".

When you try to make the paper smaller, the document
won't fit and Word refuses to say that it will.

EITHER
Go through the document and reduce "settings......." until
Word will permit the paper size change,
OR
Create a New empty document with the correct page
size and so on. Select All the text in the existing document,
Copy it and Paste it into the New document.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

"wmfoster" wrote in message
news
I am having trouble changing the page size of a Word document. When I try
select 4 x 6, I get a message from the "Office Assistant", "Settings you
chose for the left and right margins, column spacing or paragraph indnts
are
too large for the page width in some sections." And it won't let me choose
that page size.

TF

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"wmfoster" wrote in message
: Thanks for your response. Actually, the problem I'm having is that every
: time I open a new document, the column format is for three columns and a
: collumn width of 6 inches. The result is that when I get to the end of
the
: first page, I go on typing and nothing appears on the screen. If I go to
the
: "Format" menu and select "Columns" and then set the number of columns to
1,
: then the phantom pages appear. What I don't understand is why the
"default"
: new document is set up so strangely and how to change that. I am sure
that I
: did something to cause this condition and I can't figure out how to undo
: this.
:
: wmfoster
: Washington, DC
:
:
: "Pat Garard" wrote:
:
: G'Day wmfoster,
:
: What you have done is to create a document on a "large"
: piece of paper, complete with all of it's "settings for the left
: and right margins, column.......etc".
:
: When you try to make the paper smaller, the document
: won't fit and Word refuses to say that it will.
:
: EITHER
: Go through the document and reduce "settings......." until
: Word will permit the paper size change,
: OR
: Create a New empty document with the correct page
: size and so on. Select All the text in the existing document,
: Copy it and Paste it into the New document.
: --
: Regards,
: Pat Garard
: Melbourne, Australia
:
: "wmfoster" wrote in message
: news : I am having trouble changing the page size of a Word document. When I
try