Loretta

Default Why not just sell Word when it's all people need to work with at .

Why do people who just need to write letters with Word have to buy the entire
Office package? People who are not working in an office do not need the
other programs that come with Office and it isn't right they are forced to
purchase an entire package that's very expensive when all they need is Word.
With Windows XP I am finding out it won't allow me to download my Office '97
and I am going to be forced to purchase the 2003 edition and this isn't
right. When you don't have any use for all the other programs and already
purchased a prior version of it I don't understand why Microsoft won't allow
you to download the version you already invested into. XP will not allow me
to fully install my Office '97 and I think people should have the right to
make a choice if they want to upgrade to a newer version when they don't
require it for just letter writing or saving some articles and other items
from the Internet. If I had known this was going to happen to me I doubt
very much if I would have upgraded to a newer computer and would have stuck
with the one I had. All I was looking for was a little more memory space in
another computer and didn't know it was going to lead to all these unwanted
expenses because of a block that won't allow me to download Office '97.
While you are at home just don't require to have Excel, Access and Powerpoint
when all you are interested in doing is writing letters occassionally. I
feel as if someone is putting my back up against a wall and forcing me to
purchase something I don't need. It's not as if I am running an office from
home that I need all that extra stuff and it would be very considerate if we
are forced into purchasing a newer version of something it could be sold
seperately and not as a package in order to avoid the high expense of buying
the entire Office program.

Loretta
Pat Garard

Darling Loretta,

Truly, I weep for you!

Why don't you use Open Office?
It's free!!
Simple documents are compatible with Word!
Go NOW to:
http://www.openoffice.org/
and download your very own copy of v1.1.4!

Ah! Rescued again!!!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Loretta" wrote in message
[...]

garfield-n-odie

Word 2003 IS currently available as a standalone product, as well as
part of the Office suite. Word 2002 is currently available as part of
Works Suite 2005 and several previous Works Suite versions, and Works
Suite is cheaper than Word 2003 by itself.

Some of us have found ways to install Office 97 on Windows XP systems.
If you tell us what problems you're having exactly, someone here may be
able to suggest a solution.

Loretta wrote:

[...]

My problem is that every time I try to download Office '97 I get the same
message that it wasn't able to fully download and Htmlmarq.ocx wasn't able to
register itself in the system registry. I never had this problem when I was
using Windows 98 Second Edition and I find it very frustrating. I like the
Word and am presently being forced to use the 60 day free trial for the
Office 2003 which I don't really want or need. I do have Word '98 seperately
on another disc and am thinking of trying to download that one but have a
feeling I just might have the same problem again. It just seems to me that
Windows XP is blocking me from downloading this because I've tried several
different ways to download it but keep coming up with the same problem. If
anyone knows how I can download it to get on this computer I really would
appreciate the help. Thank you.

Loretta wrote:

[...]

choozeit

Thank you so much I went and checked this out and saved the site in case no
one can help me find a way to download my Office '97. This is exactly what I
need and am looking for. If I give it a try to download I just how Windows
XP doesn't block it on me as well. There's one thing I don't like about XP,
I find it to be very slow and this is a new computer. Thanks again.

Loretta

"Loretta" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

Hi,

You can't download Office 97, but you can install it.

I've found Windows XP to be pretty quick (although DOS is still quicker).
You may need to change your settings.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Loretta" wrote in message
[...]

Sam

Apparently, _Loretta_, on 27/01/05 01:59,typed:
Why do people who just need to write letters with Word have to buy the entire
Office package? People who are not working in an office do not need the

SNIP
home that I need all that extra stuff and it would be very considerate if we
are forced into purchasing a newer version of something it could be sold
seperately and not as a package in order to avoid the high expense of buying
the entire Office program.

Loretta

Somebody already beat me to it, try OpenOffice.Org
(http://www.openoffice.org/). It is free, will do what you intend to do
and much more if you wish. Perfect for what you are trying to do.

MS Word would be necessary if you are writing documents with complex
features or formatting and which must be shared with others who are
using MS Word. OpenOffice.Org can make reasonably well MS compatible
documents. But if your other peers also use OpenOffice.Org, then you
don't really have to buy MS Word and can write similar complex formatted
documents in OpenOffice.Org.

Sam.

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.
garfield-n-odie

Word 98 is a Mac version and will NOT run on a Windows 98 system or a
Windows XP system. If your computer came with Service Pack 2 for
Windows XP preinstalled, then choose a custom installation of Office 97
in which you set the Web Authoring Tools (HTML) to "not available" in
the setup options. If you installed SP2 for WinXP yourself, then
uninstall it, install Office 97 and related service packs, and then
reinstall SP2 for WinXP.

Loretta wrote:

[...]

Dian Chapman, MVP, MOS

If Word is all you want...then go to the store and buy just Word!

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...kOID=537152274

All office apps are sold separately if that is what you want.

By the way, I have no idea what you mean by "With Windows XP I am
finding out it won't allow me to download my Office '97" but if you
mean you want to install Office 97 on Windows XP...then do it. Office
97 does work on WinXP.

All I was looking for was a little more memory space in
another computer and didn't know it was going to lead to all these unwanted
expenses because of a block that won't allow me to download Office '97.

You have never been able to "download" office 97...so I'm not sure
what you're talking about?????

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:59:02 -0800, "?B?TG9yZXR0YQ==?="
wrote:

[...]

Although it is possible to buy Word freestanding, it is much cheaper to buy
it (and five other apps) as part of Works Suite (see
http://www.microsoft.com/products/wo...s.aspx?pid=001). The
version of Word in Works Suite 2005 is Word 2002, not the latest version,
but this can be an advantage if you are running an older operating system on
which Word 2003 cannot be installed.

In any case, I believe Loretta has managed to get Office 97 up and running
now (many people use "download" in this context to mean "install").

wrote:

[...]

Dian Chapman, MVP, MOS

Yes, I'm well aware that it's cheaper, Suzanne, but since she didn't
want all that extra, I didn't bother getting into a cost comparison
discussion since I figured she would realize that if she followed the
link.

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

wrote:

[...]

Doug Robbins

It is possible to install Office97 or just Word97 on a machine running
Windows XP.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Loretta" wrote:

[...]

Lee368

Hello Loretta ..

This is Leora..ha! must be only people with the names starting with L.
I also bought a new computer and was give Corel for my word program not
realizing at the time it was useless.
pretty program but no one can open.
I complained to the store and they gave me the Microsoft works software and
it's word program still cannot be opened by anyone when I send a document.
I also had Word 97 on my old computer and never had any problems.
I am trying to send out resumes online to potential new employers and they
respond saying cannot open the document. grrrrrrrrr I am not a happy camper.
Like you I do not have the money nor do I wish to spend all that money for
software when I just bought a brand new computer! I also do not need
powerpoint etc. Although I have all that on the Corel program which no one
can open even if I did use it. Ha! I can only use it if I want to print
things off.
I have posted a query ..not sure if I put it on the right discussion group.
I put it under word..as I am not sure what all the others mean.

If I hear anything I will let you know and please if you get a chance will
you let me know.
There must be a way.
Thanks,

ô¿~
Lee
"Loretta" wrote:

[...]

The most economical way to get Word is as part of Works Suite (not just
Works). With the discounts and free shipping available online, added to the
$20 mail-in rebate being offered through January 1, 2006, you can get Works
Suite for well under $100. In addition to Word 2002, Works Suite 2005
includes Works 8, Encarta 2005, Money 2005, PictureIt! Premium 10, and
Streets & Trips 2005. See

"Loretta" wrote:

[...]

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Most people make certain assumptions when they buy a new computer. Chances
are you *assumed* you were getting Word but didn't ask. This is the current
trend because the Corel programs are less expensive than Microsoft's
application software. I'm willing to *assume* that you went to Circuit City
or someplace similar and bought the system without really asking about what
you got for that low price.

I went computer shopping with a good friend the other weekend. I KNEW she
wasn't getting Word, etc but that was okay in her case. I was giving her a
copy of Office Pro XP that I wasn't using. And before I installed it, I
dumped the trial version of 2003. I did my homework and have read
waaaaaaaaaay too many posts from people who had difficulties going backward.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Loretta" wrote:

[...]

Amedee Van Gasse

Lee368 shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

Stop complaining, start using OpenOffice.
http://openoffice.org
And don't bother the people who use MS Office.

This is Leora..ha! must be only people with the names starting with L.
I also bought a new computer and was give Corel for my word program
not realizing at the time it was useless.
pretty program but no one can open.

OpenWriter can save to Word format, which 90% of the people can open.
OpenWriter can save to PDF format, which 100% of the people can open.

I am trying to send out resumes online to potential new employers and
they respond saying cannot open the document.

Send your resume in PDF. This is more professional AND it's more
difficult to mess with. I have heard about HR assistants that changed
resumes because they didn't like the face of an applicant.

Like you I do not have the money nor do I wish to spend all that money
for software when I just bought a brand new computer!

Not only is OpenOffice Free (libre) but it is also free (gratis).

I also do not need powerpoint etc.

OpenOffice includes those programs, but if you don't need it, don't
install the components or don't use them. And if you don't have to pay
for it, what's the difference? Just a few megabytes wasted hard disk
space? That's nothing with near-terabyte hard disks.

I have posted a query... not sure if I put it on the right discussion
group. I put it under word... as I am not sure what all the others
mean.

If you get an answer to your query, you are probably in the right group.

Why do people who just need to write letters with Word have to buy
the entire Office package?

They don't have to.

People who are not working in an office do not need the other
programs that come with Office

That is your opinion. I need a spreadsheed for my home finance, a
database for my cd collection, and presentation software for the
photographs I made on my travels.

and it isn't right they are forced to purchase an entire package
that's very expensive when all they need is Word.

Correct. But they aren't forced.

With Windows XP I am finding out it won't allow me to download my
Office '97

Please state the nature of the problem.
Office 97 is known to work on Windows XP.

and I am going to be forced to purchase the 2003 edition

No you are not. You can choose an alternative like Corel or the
free(gratis)/Free(libre) OpenOffice.

When you don't have any use for all the other programs and already
purchased a prior version of it I don't understand why Microsoft
won't allow you to download the version you already invested into.

It was never possible to download software from Microsoft.

XP will not allow me to fully install my Office '97

That is not true.

and I think people should have the right to make a choice if they
want to upgrade to a newer version when they don't require it for
just letter writing or saving some articles and other items from the
Internet.

I don't understand. You HAVE that choice. Open your eyes, do some
research, and CHOOSE. Be assertive.

If I had known this was going to happen to me I doubt very much if I
would have upgraded to a newer computer and would have stuck with
the one I had. All I was looking for was a little more memory space
in another computer and didn't know it was going to lead to all
these unwanted expenses because of a block that won't allow me to
download Office '97.

ALWAYS do your homework before you buy a new computer.

While you are at home just don't require to have Excel, Access and
Powerpoint

Not true. These have uses at home.

when all you are interested in doing is writing letters
occassionally.

Use Wordpad: it's included with Windows.

I feel as if someone is putting my back up against a wall and
forcing me to purchase something I don't need.

That's why more and more people start using Free(libre) alternatives.

It's not as if I am running an
office from home that I need all that extra stuff and it would be
very considerate if we are forced into purchasing a newer version
of something it could be sold seperately and not as a package in
order to avoid the high expense of buying the entire Office program.

Yada, yada, yada. Third time you write this.

I gave both of you useful answers. Please stop complaining and start
being productive. And do your homework next time.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.5.7
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

Daiya Mitchell

Not only is OpenOffice Free (libre) but it is also free (gratis).

Amedee, suddenly the FREE/free thing makes sense to me when you write it
that way. (The beer analogy totally lost me

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Bless you Amedee! I used to sell computers for a major manufacturer and it
never ceases to amaze me how many people spend money and have no idea
between what they NEED and what they WANT. And now that most systems are
sold in a box with little or no interaction with a knowledgeable sales rep,
they have no idea what they are getting. I just helped a friend buy a
computer. Her system came with Word Perfect. Was it anywhere on a sign? No.
Was it anywhere on the box? No. Did the sales clerk (who didn't care if he
made the sale or not) ask any questions? No. If I hadn't been with her and
knew what she needed she would have been shocked to learn what she wasn't
getting. (She needs Office and I happened to own a full retail copy of
Office XP Pro, never used. I gave it to her - for the same price of
OpenOffice.) (No, I don't have any more laying around the house, sorry.)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
(snip)

If I had known this was going to happen to me I doubt very much if I
would have upgraded to a newer computer and would have stuck with
the one I had. All I was looking for was a little more memory space
in another computer and didn't know it was going to lead to all
these unwanted expenses because of a block that won't allow me to
download Office '97.

ALWAYS do your homework before you buy a new computer.

(snip again)

I gave both of you useful answers. Please stop complaining and start
being productive. And do your homework next time.

CyberTaz

Just thought I'd chime in... Like you, JoAnn, I have a background in computer
sales. It never ceases to amaze me that most people will spend an irrational
amount of time, effort and energy to get just the 'right' pair of $50 shoes
but have no concept of what they are spending $1500 on when they buy a
computer.

Regards |:)