Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Graham is offline

Default 2003 view in Office 2007

Hi

I have just installed Office 2007 and am not impressed with toolbars etc.

All I want to do is type letters and I found the 2003 view much easier

Can I turn on a view similar to 2003.

Regards
Graham
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Graham" wrote in message
Hi

I have just installed Office 2007 and am not impressed with toolbars etc.

All I want to do is type letters and I found the 2003 view much easier

Can I turn on a view similar to 2003.

Regards
Graham

If all you want to do is type letters then the Ribbon is much BETTER because
you can minimse it.....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:15:57 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

If you were happy with Word 2003, why did you upgrade? Did you know nothing
about Office 2007 before installing? The new UI is hardly a secret.

This is great -- and typical.

This guy asks a perfectly good question. He gets 2 replies essentially
telling him he's (a) he's wrong and (b) he's stupid.

Why not just answer his question and leave your damned personal
opinions out of it.

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ian[_2_] Ian[_2_] is offline

LurfysMa wrote:
This is great -- and typical.

It is typical of Usenet, though I had hoped it wouldn't be when related
to MS, as MS is a corporation, and MVPs are representatives, of a sort,
of that corporation.

In other words, Usenet is composed of learners and experts, and experts
often forget that learning is an unending process. It's a question of
big dogs and little dogs, and the small bit of power afforded those who
have the answers. It's much worse on the comp.* hierarchy, where the
experts will sometimes actually refuse to answer your question just
because they can, or flame you for small things like top posting, or not
giving enough information in your post. There's netiquette, and then
there's learning how to post a question in such a way that the experts
will answer it and not flame you. The two are not the same. The latter
takes a great deal of experience, and a certain amount of
diplomacy--both of which it is assumed any poster will already have.

I really do despise power games, but even on an MS group, it has to be
expected. Those who have the answers just sometimes can't resist the
urge to leverage that power.

Ian
--
http://sundry.ws/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There really wasn't much of question there. It was mostly complaint and the
one "question" didn't even end in a question mark. If the OP had read any of
the many similar questions here, he would already know that the answer to
his question is no.

wrote:

If you were happy with Word 2003, why did you upgrade? Did you know

nothing
about Office 2007 before installing? The new UI is hardly a secret.

This is great -- and typical.

This guy asks a perfectly good question. He gets 2 replies essentially
telling him he's (a) he's wrong and (b) he's stupid.

Why not just answer his question and leave your damned personal
opinions out of it.

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There are 3rd party products that can make Word 2007 look like Word 2003
(I'm surprised that none of the developers have leapt to recommend their
wares). But there is nothing that comes with Word 2007 that will let you do
it out of the box. I haven't examined any of the 3rd party offerings, so I
can't make any recommendations. If you plan to stick with Word 2007 (and not
revert to 2003), here are a couple "classic menus and toolbars" references:

http://www.addintools.com/english/menuword/default.htm

http://pschmid.net/blog/2007/04/20/111

You can also achieve a good deal of the Word 2003 look and feel by carefully
sculpting the Quick Access Toolbar. One approach is shown he

http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/?p=50

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Graham" wrote in message
Hi

I have just installed Office 2007 and am not impressed with toolbars etc.

All I want to do is type letters and I found the 2003 view much easier

Can I turn on a view similar to 2003.

Regards
Graham

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
A. Vella[_2_] A. Vella[_2_] is offline

Dear Miss Suzanne know-it-all Barnhill,

has it occurred to you that Gordon, like me, might have been forced to
upgrade to Word2007 because he

1) needed to use other components of Office2007?
2) reasoned (wrongly as it turned out) that an 'upgrade' implied an
improvement ?
3) wanted to give the new edition a chance before deciding that he didn't
like it ?

While you are at it, perhaps you can tell me how, for example, a "Japanese
greeting" option makes your work easier (unless you have a lot of
Japanese-speaking friends).

Word 2003 allowed a lot of customization which is now lacking, beyond a
feeble 'Quick Access' toolbar.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There really wasn't much of question there. It was mostly complaint and the
one "question" didn't even end in a question mark. If the OP had read any of
the many similar questions here, he would already know that the answer to
his question is no.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Dear Intertroll

Suzanne did not reply to Gordon: she replied to Graham. Her answer was
perfectly satisfactory. Would you upgrade your car without looking at the
specs of the new car? So why blindly upgrade to Office 2007 when you are
happy with Office 2003 and all you want to do is write letters?

I suggest that any version of Office is overkill for writing letters and
that the free WordPad (or many other free text editors) would suffice for
letter writing.

I don't see that Suzanne greeted anyone in Japanese either.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There really wasn't much of question there. It was mostly complaint and
the
one "question" didn't even end in a question mark. If the OP had read any
of
the many similar questions here, he would already know that the answer to
his question is no.

so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
A. Vella[_2_] A. Vella[_2_] is offline

Dear Suzanne's friend,

I confused the two Scottish names/surnames, that is true but you did not
answer any of my points. There may be several reasons - not just the ones I
mentioned as examples - why a person might have to upgrade. Moreover I never
said i wanted to write just letters though, in any case, Word is not supposed
to be a DTP program.

If you did not understand my reference to the Japanese greeting you have no
idea what we're talking about. I suggest you go back to your video game and
let someone more mature (Bill Gates himself perhaps?) interact with your
company's clients.

Whether you like it or not we ARE the people forking out the money from
which your salary comes from.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Dear Intertroll

Suzanne did not reply to Gordon: she replied to Graham. Her answer was
perfectly satisfactory. Would you upgrade your car without looking at the
specs of the new car? So why blindly upgrade to Office 2007 when you are
happy with Office 2003 and all you want to do is write letters?

I suggest that any version of Office is overkill for writing letters and
that the free WordPad (or many other free text editors) would suffice for
letter writing.

I don't see that Suzanne greeted anyone in Japanese either.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You are sadly mistaken if you think you are paying Terry's salary, or that
you are a client of his company. None of us here work for Microsoft; this is
a peer-support forum (we're all volunteers), and many of us receive no
salary at all from anyone (I'm self-employed, and I believe Terry is
actually test-driving retirement).

Not only are we not employed by Microsoft; we are not necessarily defenders
of Microsoft or any of its applications (we are frequently as dissatisfied
with them as you are). But we are here to try to help people use the
software they've forked out the money for, and we do that by answering
questions. When there is no question--only a rant--there's really not much
we can do to help.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Dear Intertroll

Suzanne did not reply to Gordon: she replied to Graham. Her answer was
perfectly satisfactory. Would you upgrade your car without looking at

the
specs of the new car? So why blindly upgrade to Office 2007 when you are
happy with Office 2003 and all you want to do is write letters?

I suggest that any version of Office is overkill for writing letters and
that the free WordPad (or many other free text editors) would suffice

for
letter writing.

I don't see that Suzanne greeted anyone in Japanese either.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Willett Tom Willett is offline

The people you are addressing are not MS employees, and don't draw a salary.

"A. Vella" wrote in message
| Dear Suzanne's friend,
|
| I confused the two Scottish names/surnames, that is true but you did not
| answer any of my points. There may be several reasons - not just the ones
| mentioned as examples - why a person might have to upgrade. Moreover I
never
| said i wanted to write just letters though, in any case, Word is not
supposed
| to be a DTP program.
|
| If you did not understand my reference to the Japanese greeting you have
no
| idea what we're talking about. I suggest you go back to your video game
and
| let someone more mature (Bill Gates himself perhaps?) interact with your
| company's clients.
|
| Whether you like it or not we ARE the people forking out the money from
| which your salary comes from.
|
| "Terry Farrell" wrote:
|
| Dear Intertroll
|
| Suzanne did not reply to Gordon: she replied to Graham. Her answer was
| perfectly satisfactory. Would you upgrade your car without looking at
the
| specs of the new car? So why blindly upgrade to Office 2007 when you are
| happy with Office 2003 and all you want to do is write letters?
|
| I suggest that any version of Office is overkill for writing letters and
| that the free WordPad (or many other free text editors) would suffice
for
| letter writing.
|
| I don't see that Suzanne greeted anyone in Japanese either.
|
| --
| Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
A. Vella[_2_] A. Vella[_2_] is offline

Ok, my mistake; I was wrong about that and thanks for pointing it out. I just
saw - by chance - the MVP site and appreciate that volunteers should take
the time to be MVPs.

I still think that the particular MVPs I was responding to should be more
helpful and less arrogant towards the public.

Telling us "if you don't like it you may leave it" is not being "Someone who
enjoys helping people and is good at it.

"Tom Willett" wrote:

The people you are addressing are not MS employees, and don't draw a salary.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Paul Ballou Paul Ballou is offline

A.Vella

Telling us "if you don't like it you may leave it" is not being "Someone
who
enjoys helping people and is good at it.

If you don't Like 2007 then use an earlier but if you need to upgrade for
whatever reasons and need assistance then don't complain about the volunteer
help you get....Responses from MVP's sometimes may get rough around the
edges, However most devote a great deal of time to providing free assistance
not only in the newsgroups but outside the newsgroups by way of websites and
in rare cases email exchanges.
--
Paul Ballou
MVP Office

"Tom Willett" wrote:

The people you are addressing are not MS employees, and don't draw a
salary.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There are several add-ins that can provide a Word 2003 appearance for Word
2007. I have not used any of them, but have read reports that they do a good
job. Here are two:

http://www.addintools.com/english/menuword/default.htm ($$$, but I don't
know the terms)

http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribbon...er/starter.php (Free)

There might be others, as well.

Microsoft also provides "adjustment" tools, if you're incline to make the
transition to the full ribbon interface:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...744321033.aspx

This is an interactive command guide. You choose the commands/tools using a
Word 2003 interface, and it tells you where to find the corresponding
features in Word 2007.

I hope this helps.

--

"Graham" wrote in message
Hi

I have just installed Office 2007 and am not impressed with toolbars etc.

All I want to do is type letters and I found the 2003 view much easier

Can I turn on a view similar to 2003.

Regards
Graham

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
A. Vella[_2_] A. Vella[_2_] is offline

I have already addressed the issue of the MVPs role in my answer to Mr
Willet. I apologise for having thought you were the typical employees of
large corporations.

The OP wasn't a rant. however. Graham asked (ok, without punctuation but it
was undeniably a question) whether he could use Word2007 with a 2003
interface. It was a perfectly legitimate question which I myself was going to
ask. Had you wanted to help, all you had to do was say "No, that's
impossible", but instead you had to be a smarty and ask why he (and me, as it
happens) upgraded if we didn't like the way the program looked. Well, you
know what Miss Barnhill? It's none of your business why we upgraded.

Now, if you can answer such queries civilly (or not at all), you would not
only avoid being flamed but everyone would be much happier and this
discussion would have been of some use.