Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Spec7 Spec7 is offline

Default Poor font quality in word 2007

I have upgraded to word 2007 but although everything on the screen is pin
sharp, anything i type into a word document apears multi colored and faint.
forward slash is half the intensity of vertical lines. Horizontal lines in a
font are twice as strong as vertical lines. Tried screen resolution and
intensity and everything is fine except what i type ?? any thoughts ??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word (and Office in general) can be pretty demanding of display drivers,
often using features that don't get tested/used by other programs. I would
try updating the display driver to see if this improves matters.

FWIW... I'm not seeing what you're seeing in Word 2007. Hence, my suspicion
that the problem is something other than Word itself.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Spec7" wrote in message
I have upgraded to word 2007 but although everything on the screen is pin
sharp, anything i type into a word document apears multi colored and
faint.
forward slash is half the intensity of vertical lines. Horizontal lines in
font are twice as strong as vertical lines. Tried screen resolution and
intensity and everything is fine except what i type ?? any thoughts ??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarkusB5 MarkusB5 is offline

We are have the same issue. Updating the video driver does not resolve this
issue. We recently rolled office 2007 on a rather large scale, however we are
seeing this issue with a handful of users, 5 of them (so far). It appears in
word and outlook. However excel and Powerpoint appear normal. If you encrease
the font size in word the fonts go to black (default). All settings appear
normal. Fonts in all other apps appear correctly.
Any ideas on this bizzare issue?

Thanks,

"Spec7" wrote in message
I have upgraded to word 2007 but although everything on the screen is pin
sharp, anything i type into a word document apears multi colored and
faint.
forward slash is half the intensity of vertical lines. Horizontal lines in
font are twice as strong as vertical lines. Tried screen resolution and
intensity and everything is fine except what i type ?? any thoughts ??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

If the screens are of the LCD type (and most are these days), check that 'cleartype' is active - see Windows Help for details.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Spec7" wrote in message
I have upgraded to word 2007 but although everything on the screen is pin
sharp, anything i type into a word document apears multi colored and
faint.
forward slash is half the intensity of vertical lines. Horizontal lines in
font are twice as strong as vertical lines. Tried screen resolution and
intensity and everything is fine except what i type ?? any thoughts ??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarkusB5 MarkusB5 is offline

Thanks, for the tip. I just tried it, rebooted and no effect. Issue remains.
It appears to only happen in fonts 12 and below and only in outlook and word.

"Spec7" wrote in message
I have upgraded to word 2007 but although everything on the screen is pin
sharp, anything i type into a word document apears multi colored and
faint.
forward slash is half the intensity of vertical lines. Horizontal lines in
font are twice as strong as vertical lines. Tried screen resolution and
intensity and everything is fine except what i type ?? any thoughts ??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarkusB5 MarkusB5 is offline

Upon further research, it appears to happen the majority of the time with the
calibri font. some user will have other fonts that do this too like cambria,
arial, and a few others, which is why changing the font early on did not
appear to help. other users the issue seems more confined to calibri.

The following is a work around not a resolution but it may help.

If you change to a more traditional font like times new roman the issue
does not reoccur. For some users the font will still have some fuzz and
'colored glow' to it. changeing the dektop color to black emiminates the glow
(this will not affect the wallpaper) and using a higher resolution eliminates
the fuzz. For users that have trouble seeing this if you increase the icon
and font size's this seems to help.