Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

Default Word 2007 spelling & grammar check

Hi,
When I use the spelling & grammar check in Word 2007 I get this message:

"The spelling & grammar check is complete. text marked with "do not check spelling & grammar" was skipped."

Can someone please tell me what I need to do so I can check everything?

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Press Ctrl+A to select the whole document. Click the language indicator
(probably English) on the status bar (bottom of window), and in the Language
dialog, remove the check next to "Do not check spelling or grammar."

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"RScotti" wrote in message
Hi,
When I use the spelling & grammar check in Word 2007 I get this message:

"The spelling & grammar check is complete. text marked with "do not check
spelling & grammar" was skipped."

Can someone please tell me what I need to do so I can check everything?

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

Hi Herb,
I must be doing something wrong? There is no check in that box?
The Detect language automatically is checked.
These were both under The little dictionary book in the status bar than right click on Set Language I didn't even have
to use Ctrl +A

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:49:34 -0400, "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Press Ctrl+A to select the whole document. Click the language indicator
(probably English) on the status bar (bottom of window), and in the Language
dialog, remove the check next to "Do not check spelling or grammar."

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

Herb,
PS:
I just did another doc and the message didn't come up but I know I haven't changed anything?
Sorry, but I don't understand this.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:32:59 -0400, RScotti wrote:

Hi Herb,
I must be doing something wrong? There is no check in that box?
The Detect language automatically is checked.
These were both under The little dictionary book in the status bar than right click on Set Language I didn't even have
to use Ctrl +A

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:49:34 -0400, "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Press Ctrl+A to select the whole document. Click the language indicator
(probably English) on the status bar (bottom of window), and in the Language
dialog, remove the check next to "Do not check spelling or grammar."

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

Hi Herb,
Sorry to be a pest!
There is nothing in Headers & footers except the different styles I clicked on remove header/Footer but I wasn't using
any. Also checked page number.
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:30:57 -0400, "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Might there be text set to "Do not check..." in the headers/footers?

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Okay... Press Ctrl+A and look again at the checkbox. Is it really empty, or
is it grayed/blued? If the latter then it means that part of the selection
contains text marked as "Do not check".

If it's really empty... are there any text boxes in the document? If so,
text boxes aren't selected when you press Ctrl+A. So, if those contain "Do
not check" text, then that could be what's triggering the message. So might
text contained in footnotes/endnotes, which are also left out of the Ctrl+A
selection in the body of the document.

We'll hunt it down! It just takes persistence. ;-)

--

wrote:

Might there be text set to "Do not check..." in the headers/footers?

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

Default Word 2007 spelling & grammar check (0/1)

Hi Herb,
I guess I am cracking up. I can't get back top that screen. I hit Ctrl +A and it disappears from select all when I click
on the book in the status bar.
When I just do a right click I do get a menu but can't find the Language
dialog box now just all the options you check like spelling,page # Format etc.
I am going to send you a screen short but don't know if it will go through to the N/G's
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:01:38 -0400, "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Okay... Press Ctrl+A and look again at the checkbox. Is it really empty, or
is it grayed/blued? If the latter then it means that part of the selection
contains text marked as "Do not check".

If it's really empty... are there any text boxes in the document? If so,
text boxes aren't selected when you press Ctrl+A. So, if those contain "Do
not check" text, then that could be what's triggering the message. So might
text contained in footnotes/endnotes, which are also left out of the Ctrl+A
selection in the body of the document.

We'll hunt it down! It just takes persistence. ;-)

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

Hi Herb,
I am right clicking on the dictionary book in the status bar. Is that right?
I don't see any Language dialog box?
Even before when I did find it.It was in that dictionary book on the status bar.I thought I right clicked on it but not
sure. I guess I am getting too old to remember anything!
Am I doing something wrong? Again?
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:16:28 -0400, RScotti wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

OK, I got it. You have to have an error in spelling to get to it.I didn't know that. Sorry.
It is not grayed out just empty.
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:01:38 -0400, "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Okay... Press Ctrl+A and look again at the checkbox. Is it really empty, or
is it grayed/blued? If the latter then it means that part of the selection
contains text marked as "Do not check".

If it's really empty... are there any text boxes in the document? If so,
text boxes aren't selected when you press Ctrl+A. So, if those contain "Do
not check" text, then that could be what's triggering the message. So might
text contained in footnotes/endnotes, which are also left out of the Ctrl+A
selection in the body of the document.

We'll hunt it down! It just takes persistence. ;-)

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:01:38 -0400, "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

If it's really empty... are there any text boxes in the document? If so,
text boxes aren't selected when you press Ctrl+A. So, if those contain "Do
not check" text, then that could be what's triggering the message. So might
text contained in footnotes/endnotes, which are also left out of the Ctrl+A
selection in the body of the document.

Sorry for not being complete. I am not using any text boxes that I know of. My problem now is I can't reproduce the
error to help you help me?
I tried an old doc that had a numbered error "1/4" and the check didn't give that error message.
I just did another test doc and still can't recreate the error. Sorry!

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

To recreate the error, you need to reset the document's spelling as
un-checked. Office button - Word Options - Proofing tab, click Recheck
Document - Click Yes - Click OK. Now, press F7 to recheck the spelling.

If you're still getting the message that "Do not check..." areas were
skipped, then at least something somewhere in the document contains text
that's marked "Do not check". Since Ctrl+A doesn't select text in text
boxes, footnotes, endnotes, headers, or footers, you would need to check
those areas separately.

Try this:

1. Ctrl+F

2. Click the More button.

3. Make sure the Find what: box is empty.

4. At the bottom, click Format - Language, and put a check next to "Do not
check spelling or grammar". This tells Word to search for text --
anywhere -- that contains that attribute. Click OK.

5. Click Find Next.

If text is formatted that way... this should find it.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

news
wrote:

If it's really empty... are there any text boxes in the document? If so,
text boxes aren't selected when you press Ctrl+A. So, if those contain "Do
not check" text, then that could be what's triggering the message. So
might
text contained in footnotes/endnotes, which are also left out of the
Ctrl+A
selection in the body of the document.

Sorry for not being complete. I am not using any text boxes that I know
of. My problem now is I can't reproduce the
error to help you help me?
I tried an old doc that had a numbered error "1/4" and the check didn't
give that error message.
I just did another test doc and still can't recreate the error. Sorry!

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
RScotti RScotti is offline

Hi Herb,
I did as you said and did get that error again.
When I did your second suggestion "Ctrl+F" it found the inserted date that I put in the doc from the date select page
"Thursday, June 28, 2007"
I guess that was the problem?
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.