Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Shapiro Charles Shapiro is offline

Default Hyperlinks in word

Hello.

I have a word document I have put a table of contents into. I have inserted
hyperlinks into the TOC. I then convert the word document to an Adobe PDF
file. When I click on one of the hyperlinks in the TOC, it wants to open
the word document instead of just going to the place in the PDF I created.
It's going to the right place (in the word document), it's just not going to
the right document. (word doc vs. pdf doc).

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Appreciate an help you can give.

Thanks.

...Chip..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

You say: I have inserted hyperlinks into the TOC. This makes me ask: How
did you create the TOC? If you created it manually and created the hyperlinks
e.g. by using "Paste as Hyperlink", I think that this could be what causes
your problem. I don't know which version of Word and Adobe Acrobat you are
using but I have seen with Adobe Acrobat 6 that hyperlinks created using
"Paste as Hyperlink" pointed to the Word document instead of the PDF document.

You should create the TOC in Word using Insert Reference Index and
Tables Table of Contents tab. If needed, you will find help in this article:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Charles Shapiro" wrote:

Hello.

I have a word document I have put a table of contents into. I have inserted
hyperlinks into the TOC. I then convert the word document to an Adobe PDF
file. When I click on one of the hyperlinks in the TOC, it wants to open
the word document instead of just going to the place in the PDF I created.
It's going to the right place (in the word document), it's just not going to
the right document. (word doc vs. pdf doc).

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Appreciate an help you can give.

Thanks.

...Chip..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Note that the basics of creating a TOC are covered in
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html. My article at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm builds on Shauna's.

"Charles Shapiro" wrote:

Hello.

I have a word document I have put a table of contents into. I have

inserted
hyperlinks into the TOC. I then convert the word document to an Adobe

PDF
file. When I click on one of the hyperlinks in the TOC, it wants to

open
the word document instead of just going to the place in the PDF I

created.
It's going to the right place (in the word document), it's just not

going to
the right document. (word doc vs. pdf doc).

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Appreciate an help you can give.

Thanks.

...Chip..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Shapiro Charles Shapiro is offline

Thanks. I did create the hyperlinks using what you describe in the 2nd
paragraph below, but I have to admit not fully understanding what the help
file was telling me. Thanks for the advice and the link below.

--
...Chip..

"Charles Shapiro" wrote:

Hello.

I have a word document I have put a table of contents into. I have
inserted
hyperlinks into the TOC. I then convert the word document to an Adobe
PDF
file. When I click on one of the hyperlinks in the TOC, it wants to open
the word document instead of just going to the place in the PDF I
created.
It's going to the right place (in the word document), it's just not going
the right document. (word doc vs. pdf doc).

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Appreciate an help you can give.

Thanks.

...Chip..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Shapiro Charles Shapiro is offline

Thanks for the links. Others always make it more clear than MS!

Off I go to those links!

--
...Chip..

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Note that the basics of creating a TOC are covered in
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html. My article at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm builds on Shauna's.

so
all may benefit.