Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rivahlady Rivahlady is offline

Default How do you close a word document without closing the program?

Word 2007 only has one (1) X in the right hand corner. Word 2003 had 2 x's,
one to close the doc and one to close the program. When I click the X in
2007, it closes the program.

Also, where is the list of open docs that used to be under File or Window in
the Tool Bar for 2003 Word. I used to be able to find quickly what I was
working on. Has that been eliminated? I see the 3 of docs in the bottom
task bar near Start. Thanks for help.
--
Rivahlady

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The X in the top right corner of the Windows only closes the program if the
last open document is closed. If you want to leave the application open use
CTRL+F4 to close documents or add Close to the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar)

As for the second part - see Switch Windows on the View tab of the ribbon.
You can of course select the documents from the Windows task bar.

Rivahlady wrote:

Word 2007 only has one (1) X in the right hand corner. Word 2003
had 2 x's, one to close the doc and one to close the program. When
I click the X in 2007, it closes the program.

Also, where is the list of open docs that used to be under File or
Window in the Tool Bar for 2003 Word. I used to be able to find
quickly what I was working on. Has that been eliminated? I see the
3 of docs in the bottom task bar near Start. Thanks for help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
susie q susie q is offline

click on the round circle at the top left, (that's where "file" use to be) ,
when that drop down box appears go to the bottom and right click on that
"close" folder, then click "add to quick access toolbar". A folder icon with
a tiny backwards arrow will come up on the toolbar. if it doesnt's show on
the toolbar, it might be in the "drop down" thing at the end of the toolbar
that shows more tools.

Rivahlady wrote:

Word 2007 only has one (1) X in the right hand corner. Word 2003 had 2 x's,
one to close the doc and one to close the program. When I click the X in
2007, it closes the program.

Also, where is the list of open docs that used to be under File or Window in
the Tool Bar for 2003 Word. I used to be able to find quickly what I was
working on. Has that been eliminated? I see the 3 of docs in the bottom
task bar near Start. Thanks for help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mtipperw mtipperw is offline

Rivahlady wrote:

Word 2007 only has one (1) X in the right hand corner. Word 2003 had 2 x's,
one to close the doc and one to close the program. When I click the X in
2007, it closes the program.

Also, where is the list of open docs that used to be under File or Window in
the Tool Bar for 2003 Word. I used to be able to find quickly what I was
working on. Has that been eliminated? I see the 3 of docs in the bottom
task bar near Start. Thanks for help.

The office button, word options answer worked perfectly ,thank you