Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
eternal_flame eternal_flame is offline

Default Footer problem - please help!!!

I work in a college and we have exams due to start next week. The technical
team are unable to help with the problem that has been reported so i really
need your help.

When writing in a footer, on certain computers but only intermitantly, the
writing has been writing all in one spot each letter on top of the other so
that after typing so much it just looks like a black blob. We've considered
margins, etc, all the general stuff that comes to mind first but we can't
think whats causing it.

The exams coming up are in word production and students will lose marks for
not putting a footer in correctly, which is why it is so important.

Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
eternal_flame[_2_] eternal_flame[_2_] is offline

Unfortunately by the time the tutors have reported the fault they have
already discarded the documents and moved the student. So i have no file to
send, though i admit it would probably make it easier.

the problem is where when the students type in the footer the lettersall
type one on top of the other not next to each other as they should be. We
know its not the overwrite function becase tat would still type the letters
next to each other but just over the top of whatever

its only an intermitant probem, so it doesn't happen everytime Word is used,
and it doesn't always happen everytime the user logs on. Its not just
isolated to 1 department either.

I will ask the tutors to try to save me any that come up over the next
couple of days so that i can email them to you. Hopefully someone somewhere
can help.

"pavan" wrote:

Hi....

I've read the problem given below... really I didn't get the problem you are
facing... if u really want me to crack your problem.. u can send your
____.doc file to my mail... I'll try my level best to solve your problem. My
e-mail ID is

Please give me a chance to solve your problem.

Thanks,
PAVAN

"eternal_flame" wrote:

I work in a college and we have exams due to start next week. The technical
team are unable to help with the problem that has been reported so i really
need your help.

When writing in a footer, on certain computers but only intermitantly, the
writing has been writing all in one spot each letter on top of the other so
that after typing so much it just looks like a black blob. We've considered
margins, etc, all the general stuff that comes to mind first but we can't
think whats causing it.

The exams coming up are in word production and students will lose marks for
not putting a footer in correctly, which is why it is so important.

Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

According to contributor Bob Buckland: "It's a bug that somehow seems to
have Word misreading temporary files related to the printer currently in
use. You can usually 'unscramble' the display from File=Print and switch
to the printer properties or to another printer then your normal one, or
close Word and delete all files found on Start=Search and looking for
~$*.*;*.tmp as the name string then restarting Word." See also
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

eternal_flame wrote:
I work in a college and we have exams due to start next week. The
technical team are unable to help with the problem that has been
reported so i really need your help.

When writing in a footer, on certain computers but only
intermitantly, the writing has been writing all in one spot each
letter on top of the other so that after typing so much it just looks
like a black blob. We've considered margins, etc, all the general
stuff that comes to mind first but we can't think whats causing it.

The exams coming up are in word production and students will lose
marks for not putting a footer in correctly, which is why it is so
important.

Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
eternal_flame[_2_] eternal_flame[_2_] is offline

Thankn you for your suggestion. I'll bring it up with the team and arrange
for the tutors to call us when a problem appears so that we can try this.