Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Default TOC Bolds itself, by itself

TOC 2 worked fine, but today it decided it would bold the number, which I do
not want. Instead I want it to not be bolded. The toc menu says it isn't
bolded, as does the font, but nontheless it does it anyway.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

New info. When I opened an old edition of a document that worked right, the
hyperlink it referenced was not bolded. When I ran the reference TOC, the
hyperlink is now bolded. How did that happen? So, I went to the bolded
hyperlink and unbolded it thru modify and that link went unbolded, but none
of the others. It will work if I highlight each and unbold. But running the
toc again reverts back. Can I bill for the 2 hours I waste everyday working
around/fixing Word's 2007 defectives?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

The TOC is not bolded when I checked it going thru the TOC references. I
checked that and it does not refer to the hyperlink. Humor me. How do I get
it to be unbolded?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is it possible that bold formatting has been applied to the headings as
direct formatting (which would reflect in the TOC)?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"bretsharon" wrote in message
The TOC is not bolded when I checked it going thru the TOC references. I
checked that and it does not refer to the hyperlink. Humor me. How do I
get
it to be unbolded?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

I will look, but now I can't find the style I was using for the last week or
so. I must to quit using word. I haven't spent two hours today yet fixing
its defects. I have to get away from MS and Word....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Hello,

Somehow it is not now bolded TOC2, but the bold is now off of Heading 1, 2
in the body, which was easy to fix. I think there is a lag in commands, such
as when you make a change, the change overshoots the target (say a tab) but
if you do a Cntrl Z it doesn't go back to what it was, but instead put the
item where you want it.

But it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

By default, the TOC styles (which control the formatting of the TOC entries)
are set to automatically update. Maybe that is what has been causing issues
in your document.

If, in addition, the heading styles have been set to automatically update,
that would cause more confusion.

To turn off the "Automatically update" setting for any style (besides
Normal), use the Modify Style dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"bretsharon" wrote in message
Hello,

Somehow it is not now bolded TOC2, but the bold is now off of Heading 1, 2
in the body, which was easy to fix. I think there is a lag in commands,
such
as when you make a change, the change overshoots the target (say a tab)
but
if you do a Cntrl Z it doesn't go back to what it was, but instead put the
item where you want it.

But it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Thank you. I had already done the steps you listed first thru the Modify
command in the style boxes at home, for the TOC2, and it was already without
the bold, as was the font when you reveal codes and the style listing.
Interestingly, TOC2 based the style on the hyperlink, which in my older
documents was not bolded, but on the current one, it is bolded. When you
right click in the styles list on hyperlink, then modify, it showed no
bolding until you go to the font command. I noted that it was not bolded,
but I always have to insert the new new time roman font each time. This had
no effect. If I right click on theTOC2 in the actual document, then font,
and unbolded, then it took. I then had to go thru the TOC and change them
mannually.

I noted that the hyperlink is set on a default paragraph font style and when
I wanted to unbold it, I couldn't find it. Where would I go to unbold that
fant?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Paragraph Font just means the font of the underlying paragraph
style. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/DefParaFont.htm. If your
TOC style does not include bold, then the entries are almost certainly
picking it up from direct font formatting of the headings.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

No I don't direct font the heading. It is automatic. But I did this on the
older documents and it turned off the bolding on the TOC. Why does it bold
when I tell it not to when forming a new TOC?