Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Three Lefts Three Lefts is offline

Default Is there someplace to report grammar checker errors?

Word 2007 gives me a grammar error on this sentence:

I am meeting with the parents tomorrow afternoon.

None of these variations get errors:

I am meeting with the parents tomorrow.
I am meeting with the parents this afternoon.
I am meeting with the team tomorrow afternoon.

Assuming I don't have some setting wrong, isthere someplace that I can

I run into glitches like this all the time.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That's because all your examples are grammatically correct even though not
shinning examples of good sentence construction.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Three Lefts" wrote in message
Word 2007 gives me a grammar error on this sentence:

I am meeting with the parents tomorrow afternoon.

None of these variations get errors:

I am meeting with the parents tomorrow.
I am meeting with the parents this afternoon.
I am meeting with the team tomorrow afternoon.

Assuming I don't have some setting wrong, isthere someplace that I can

I run into glitches like this all the time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Three Lefts Three Lefts is offline

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:11:12 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

That's not his point, Terry. His point is that the first example (which Word
marks as ungrammatical) is equally unexceptionable.

That was my tertiary point.

My primary point/question was whether there is someplace that users
can report glitches.

My secondary point had to do with whether this is a bug in the grammar
checker. In my opinion, it is.

Exhibit A: If I right click on the flagged word (parents), I am
offererd two alternative spellings: "parent's" and "parents'". If I
replace "parents" with either alternative,

I am meeting with the parent's tomorrow afternoon.
I am meeting with the parents' tomorrow afternoon.

Word is happy. These sentences are now gramatically incorrect ihn
addition to being non-shinning.

Exhibit B: If I right-click on the flagged word and choose About this
sentence, I get this:

Possessive Use
If you are using a singular noun to indicate possession, use an
apostrophe before the "s." If you are using a plural noun, use an
apostrophe after the "s."

Instead of: Both neighbors dogs barked all night long.
Consider: Both neighbors' dogs barked all night long.

Instead of: Ice hockey is Toms favorite sport.
Consider: Ice hockey is Tom's favorite sport.

Clearly Word has completely misunderstood the sentence. At least this
error message is consistent with the suggested spelling alternatives
-- consistently wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Three Lefts Three Lefts is offline

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:53:01 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Word is unable to recognize "tomorrow afternoon" as an adverbial
construction. Just one more example of why I don't bother with the grammar
checker.

So it is a bug. Now maybe I can get an answer to my main question: Is
there someplace to send these bug reports?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I remember telling Microsoft that for at least three Office betas before it
was finally corrected.

In Microsoft's defense, they do not manage the spelling or grammar
references: they are outsourced.

Terry Farrell

Marsoupeal wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

Word is unable to recognize "tomorrow afternoon" as an adverbial
construction. Just one more example of why I don't bother with the
grammar checker.

I don't know if you knew this, but for a long time in its early
development
the UK dictionary accepted the spelling "liason."

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Suzanne

I miss understood that, but see clearly from the next post.

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
That's not his point, Terry. His point is that the first example (which
Word marks as ungrammatical) is equally unexceptionable.

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
That's because all your examples are grammatically correct even though
not shinning examples of good sentence construction.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Three Lefts" wrote in message
Word 2007 gives me a grammar error on this sentence:

I am meeting with the parents tomorrow afternoon.

None of these variations get errors:

I am meeting with the parents tomorrow.
I am meeting with the parents this afternoon.
I am meeting with the team tomorrow afternoon.

Assuming I don't have some setting wrong, isthere someplace that I can

I run into glitches like this all the time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Three Lefts Three Lefts is offline

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:33:15 +0100, "Terry Farrell"
wrote:

That's because all your examples are grammatically correct even though not
shinning examples of good sentence construction.

Then why did it flag one and not the others?

Are you saying that the grammar checker flags sentences that are not
shinning [sic] examples as well as those with errors?

Perhaps, Dr. Farrell, you could educate me on what it is about those
sentences that fails your test for good sentence structure.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JethroUK© JethroUK© is offline

it doesn't seem to like 'tomorrow' & 'afternoon' together - prolly seeing
these as independent words

but neither does it like my name 'JethroUK' - hence it has facility to
ignore it

English grammar is very complicated and to assume MS Word can handle it
'all' is unreasonable at very least