Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Trish

Default installing word 2000 and keeping word 97

I am a medical transcriptionist. I got a new spell checker that only works
with Word 2000, but my line counter will only work with Word 97. I tried
installing 2000 and it must be over writing my 97 as my line counter will say
"Word 97 not found". Is there any way to install Word 2000 and KEEP my 97 so
I can use both programs?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?VHJpc2g=?=,

I am a medical transcriptionist. I got a new spell checker that only works
with Word 2000, but my line counter will only work with Word 97. I tried
installing 2000 and it must be over writing my 97 as my line counter will say
"Word 97 not found". Is there any way to install Word 2000 and KEEP my 97 so
I can use both programs?

It can be done - I've done it. You have to be careful when installing a later
version that you use a "Custom" type of installation and that you explicitly
tell Setup that it may NOT remove any other version it finds (and pay really
good attention to each and every dialog box because it will try to trick you).

Besides that, depending on how these tools were developed, it's possible that
the tool is explicitly looking for Word 97 to be registered as the "current"
version of Word. Everytime you start Word 2000 it will overwrite this Registry
entry, proclaiming itself to be the current version, and it's very difficult to
override that. you can try:
START/Run
Type in the full path to the Word 97 winword.exe and follow it with
a space then: /reg
click OK

This should re-register Word97 as the current version, but no guarantees.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)