rjonas

Default Why is Pagination Different with Windows Word 2003 & Mac Word 2004

I work on Word documents on both the Windows XP and Mac OSX platforms with
Word 2003 for Windows and Word 204 for the Mac.

When I open a document created in Windows on the Mac the pagination is often
different by a line or two. This happens even when I use standard fonts like
Ariel or Verdana which are installed on both machines. Why does this happen?
Can this be fixed? I need to see the document the same on each machine.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
Charles Kenyon

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"rjonas" wrote in message
I work on Word documents on both the Windows XP and Mac OSX platforms with
Word 2003 for Windows and Word 204 for the Mac.

When I open a document created in Windows on the Mac the pagination is
often
different by a line or two. This happens even when I use standard fonts
like
Ariel or Verdana which are installed on both machines. Why does this
happen?
Can this be fixed? I need to see the document the same on each machine.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Jay Freedman

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:11:02 -0800, rjonas
wrote:

I work on Word documents on both the Windows XP and Mac OSX platforms with
Word 2003 for Windows and Word 204 for the Mac.

When I open a document created in Windows on the Mac the pagination is often
different by a line or two. This happens even when I use standard fonts like
Ariel or Verdana which are installed on both machines. Why does this happen?
Can this be fixed? I need to see the document the same on each machine.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Since you're never going to get the same printer driver to run on the
same platform, you're almost always going to run into this problem, as
explained in http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm.

Can you make a PDF of the document on one machine and transfer it to
the other? Or do you have to be able to edit the document in both
environments?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
rjonas

Jay, I need to edit the document on both platforms and if the pagination
changes that could potentially, but not necessarily, cause me a problem.

Thanks for responding so fast.

Ron

wrote:

[...]

NO SPAM PLEASE

I work around this problem by using Acrobat Distiller as the default printer on
all machines I use for common documents.

It might be worth trying this trick.

Steven