Mike Phillips

Default Help With Column Spacing

I have uploaded an example Word document to
http://www.geocities.com/mcp6453/public/claimchart.doc. Here is my
question: Is there a way to "tie together" the text that is on the same
line such that when the text in one column expands or contracts, the
first line for the related text in the adjacent column moves with the
revised text? It can be done by putting "row" of text in its own table
row, but I wonder if there is a way to do so within a single row. Word's
column features seems to provide such a function, but I don't remember
how to use it.

Here's an example of what I'm trying to ask: If I add text after
"Support 1" such that the text wraps to the next line, "Support (a)"
will move down the page. How can "(a) Claim (a)" and "Process (a)" be
locked together such that they all move down the page by the same amount?
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:44:21 -0500, Mike Phillips
wrote:

I have uploaded an example Word document to
http://www.geocities.com/mcp6453/public/claimchart.doc. Here is my
question: Is there a way to "tie together" the text that is on the same
line such that when the text in one column expands or contracts, the
first line for the related text in the adjacent column moves with the
revised text? It can be done by putting "row" of text in its own table
row, but I wonder if there is a way to do so within a single row. Word's
column features seems to provide such a function, but I don't remember
how to use it.

Here's an example of what I'm trying to ask: If I add text after
"Support 1" such that the text wraps to the next line, "Support (a)"
will move down the page. How can "(a) Claim (a)" and "Process (a)" be
locked together such that they all move down the page by the same amount?

Hi Mike,

The short answer is "no".

There are only two ways to handle this: either make a new row at every
point where the columns have to align (removing the horizontal borders
to make multiple cells look like one) or manually adjust the Space
Before settings of the paragraphs each time you make an edit that
changes the spacing in one column. Since the second choice is a ton of
work and prone to errors, use the first one.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman