Nils Magnus Englund

Default Page breaks within paragraphs

Hi!

I have a large document sectioned into fairly small paragraphs, each having
a header;

1 Header
1.1 Subheader
Some text
1.1.1 Subsubheader
More text
1.1.2 Another subsubheader
Even more text

How can I make sure there never will be a page break between a header and
its text, nor in the middle of a paragraph?

Regards,
Nils Magnus Englund

Jay Freedman

Nils Magnus Englund wrote:
Hi!

I have a large document sectioned into fairly small paragraphs, each
having a header;

1 Header
1.1 Subheader
Some text
1.1.1 Subsubheader
More text
1.1.2 Another subsubheader
Even more text

How can I make sure there never will be a page break between a header
and its text, nor in the middle of a paragraph?

Regards,
Nils Magnus Englund

Hi Nils Magnus,

The style definition for each heading style should contain the "Keep with
next" paragraph formatting (all the built-in heading styles already contain
this). If the headings may be more than one line long, you may also want to
include the "Keep lines together" formatting.

The style used for the paragraph text should have the "Keep lines together"
formatting but not "Keep with next".

"Keep with next" prevents a page break between the current paragraph and the
next one, whereas "Keep lines together" prevents a page break within the
current paragraph.

Both of these items are in the Format Paragraph dialog, on the Line and
Page Breaks tab. It's much better to include these in the style definitions
rather than applying them directly.

Nils Magnus Englund

Hey Jay,

"Keep with next" prevents a page break between the current paragraph and
the
next one, whereas "Keep lines together" prevents a page break within the
current paragraph.

That was excellent, thank you. However, for the few sections with two
paragraphs under a single header - do you have any suggestions as to how I
might solve the same problem?

I suppose I can't put "keep with next" on all paragraphs, since this implies
they also would keep with next if next was a header. What I'm looking for is
a "Keep with next only if next is another paragraph"

Regards,
Nils Magnus Englund

Jay Freedman

Nils Magnus Englund wrote:
Hey Jay,

"Keep with next" prevents a page break between the current paragraph
and the
next one, whereas "Keep lines together" prevents a page break within
the current paragraph.

That was excellent, thank you. However, for the few sections with two
paragraphs under a single header - do you have any suggestions as to
how I might solve the same problem?

I suppose I can't put "keep with next" on all paragraphs, since this
implies they also would keep with next if next was a header. What I'm
looking for is a "Keep with next only if next is another paragraph"

Regards,
Nils Magnus Englund

Sorry, the best you can do is to include "Keep with next" in the paragraph
style and manually remove it from the last paragraph before a heading.

We've suggested a "Keep with previous" format item, but so far it hasn't
been implemented.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman