Russell Brook

Default Format of Table of Contents

I have created a table of contentes and every thing seams fine except for
oone thing... I want all leve 1 to be bold and alll level 2 and below to be
normal... however the TOC contents seams to be honoring the format of the
headers in the doc, even though i have changed the style. i can reformat the
2nd level on the TOC, but when i update it they chage to bold... can anybody
help..

Thanks in advance regards Russell

TOC entries will pick up *direct* font formatting of headings. Make sure
that any bold headings have bold as part of the heading style (perhaps this
is what you meant when you said "even though i have changed the style"). You
can then format the TOC styles independently of the heading styles. For a
start, select the whole TOC and press Ctrl+Spacebar to see if that makes a
difference.

"Russell Brook" wrote in message
I have created a table of contentes and every thing seams fine except for
oone thing... I want all leve 1 to be bold and alll level 2 and below to

be
normal... however the TOC contents seams to be honoring the format of the
headers in the doc, even though i have changed the style. i can reformat

the
2nd level on the TOC, but when i update it they chage to bold... can

anybody
help..

Thanks in advance regards Russell

Russell Brook

Thanks Susan, that works fine.... and is a quick way to change the
formatting... is there a way to make this a perminent change? soon as i
update the TOC, it oicks up the style of the headers again....

Thanks Russell

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
TOC entries will pick up *direct* font formatting of headings. Make sure
that any bold headings have bold as part of the heading style (perhaps
this
is what you meant when you said "even though i have changed the style").
You
can then format the TOC styles independently of the heading styles. For a
start, select the whole TOC and press Ctrl+Spacebar to see if that makes a
difference.

so
all may benefit.

"Russell Brook" wrote in message
I have created a table of contentes and every thing seams fine except for
oone thing... I want all leve 1 to be bold and alll level 2 and below to

be
normal... however the TOC contents seams to be honoring the format of the
headers in the doc, even though i have changed the style. i can reformat

the
2nd level on the TOC, but when i update it they chage to bold... can

anybody
help..

Thanks in advance regards Russell

Stefan Blom

The way to make your changes permanent is to modify the paragraph
style definitions of headings and toc entries to suit your needs. For
more information, please see:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html.

--
Stefan Blom

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Russell Brook" wrote in message
I have created a table of contentes and every thing seams fine

except for
oone thing... I want all leve 1 to be bold and alll level 2 and

below to
be
normal... however the TOC contents seams to be honoring the

format of the
headers in the doc, even though i have changed the style. i can

reformat
the
2nd level on the TOC, but when i update it they chage to bold...

can
anybody
help..

Thanks in advance regards Russell

Stefan Blom

Personally, I want to be in control so I don't rely on update
automatically that much; I make all changes via the Modify Style
dialog box instead. Of course, there are certainly times when update
automatically comes in handy. But I have to wonder: For inexperienced
users, don't this feature (along with several others) cause confusion
rather than make Word easy to use?

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Since all TOC styles are set to update automatically, it should

suffice to
change the formatting of a single entry. I find this doesn't work as
dependably for font formatting as for paragraph formatting, though.

I don't
know why this is.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.