Marc Carignan

Default Should one or two spaces follow each sentence?

I cannot seem to find this stylistic and syntactic answer. Historically, two
spaces were recommended for use with typewriters, following each period prior
to the start of the next sentence. However, using word processing apps like
Word, a single space performs more appropriately when wrapping, as the second
space gets pushed to the next line, causing the next line (the start of a new
sentence within a paragraph that happens to start on a new line) to start
with a space -- causing paragraph misalignment (although only slightly).

It seems that one space between sentences is now recommended, but cannot
verify this anywhere? Can anyone provide the definitive answer here?
Joseph N.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:11:26 GMT, Jezebel wrote:

If you are using a proportional spaced typeface (pretty well all
of them, apart from Courier) use a single space. Double-space
after a period was, as you say, specifically a typewriter
technique. One of the objectives in typography is to have the
word spacing as consistent as possible -- using double spaces
interferes with that and (marginally) reduces readability.

I'm gonna hafta differ with you on this one. It is nearly always easier for a reader to apprehend the flow of the meaning of a paragraph when sentences are subtly separated in way different than words are. As paragraphs should each offer an "argument," sentences should each offer a complete thought. Having them set out by an extra space, in order to be picked up more easily, quickly, and meaningfully by a reader, is--in my view--a reason to continue using the double space after a period.

As for a point made by the original poster, modern word processors--at least MS Word 2002 and Lotus Word Pro, the only ones I use--do not let the extra space cause an indent at the beginning of a line.

--
JN

jbn 'won'oh'won'six'won' at fastmail.fm
Remove spaces, and substitute digits for the words between " ' "
Jezebel

"Joseph N." wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:11:26 GMT, Jezebel wrote:

If you are using a proportional spaced typeface (pretty well all
of them, apart from Courier) use a single space. Double-space
after a period was, as you say, specifically a typewriter
technique. One of the objectives in typography is to have the
word spacing as consistent as possible -- using double spaces
interferes with that and (marginally) reduces readability.

I'm gonna hafta differ with you on this one. It is nearly always easier

for a reader to apprehend the flow of the meaning of a paragraph when
sentences are subtly separated in way different than words are.

This has been measured and tested to the nth, by quite a lot of people over
a VERY long time. It just ain't so.

Jezebel

"RWN" wrote in message
Given my diminishing eyesight I'm inclined to agree-I need all the

separation I can get!!

--

I can sympathise with that! But you'll note that newspapers and books don't
do it.