ctt

Default how do i anchor a line of text on the last page of a printed docu.

I have a document that could possibly run into several pages. I want a
signature line to print on the last page only AND anchored directly above the
footer. Any suggestions?

Add it to the footer as follows:

1. View | Header and Footer and switch to the footer.

2. Type the signature line and any associated text above the existing
footer. Add enough Space After to separate it from the actual footer.

3. Immediately before the existing footer, press Ctrl+F9 to insert a field.
You will see:

{ }

4. Between the braces, type "IF" (without the quotation marks), then click
on the Insert Page Number button.

5. Type "=" (without the quotation marks) and then click on the Insert
Number of Pages button.

6. Type two quotation marks. Press Alt+F9 to display field codes. At this
point your field will look like this:

{ IF { PAGE } = { NUMPAGES } "" }

7. Select the signature line you typed, including any paragraph marks, and
Cut (Ctrl+X).

8. Place the insertion point between the pair of paragraph marks and Paste
(Ctrl+V).

9. Press Alt+F9 again and F9 to update the field. You should see the
signature line only on the last page.

"ctt" wrote in message
I have a document that could possibly run into several pages. I want a
signature line to print on the last page only AND anchored directly above

the
footer. Any suggestions?

I'm glad you found that simple. Many people get turned off by instructions
that detailed. For (a lot) more on this type of trick, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"ctt" wrote in message
I have a document that could possibly run into several pages. I want

signature line to print on the last page only AND anchored directly

above
the
footer. Any suggestions?

It is actually very difficult for me to write instructions that detailed
(and I'm far from the best of the MVPs in this regard). The part that I
debated about was the actual creation of the signature line. Constructing an
IF field is very simple (and I'm sure you already knew how to do that). What
many users don't appreciate is that the "TrueText" and "FalseText" can be
just about anything. But if you try to create the text directly in the
field, it can be confusing (especially if it includes line or paragraph
breaks), which is why I suggested creating it separately and then pasting it
in.

You could equally well use an AutoText field as the TrueText (when you use a
field, you don't have to use quotes around it). And of course you could
create the signature line in the document itself and cut or copy it from
there, but that would require stepping out of the footer pane and back in,
which would be more complicated for some users. The danger in creating it in
the footer pane is that sometimes when you cut text from a header/footer
(even if you include the paragraph mark), an empty paragraph is left. I
didn't test this, so I can't say whether that would happen in this instance
or not.