Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
tchicks

Default Add a term paper or Thesis template to Word.

I would like Word (student and teacher version) to have a template a
student can use to write a term paper, essay, or thesis. This should include
various writing formats: proposal, applications paper, dissertation, thesis,
research project etc.)
I want it to also include a template for the reference page; choices of
either Chicago, APA or MLA style. Or any other popular styles. This will
help students, young and mature, with work flow and fewer work interruptions.
There should be a feature to save references so we can choose and input
previously use citings or just create them while reading the source and input
them when the paper is written.
The synonym and dictionary feature should be periodically updated with
new words. It's too basic for students and teachers.
I use Microsoft Office 2003 for Students and Teachers.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
garfield-n-odie

I'm betting you would also like Word to automatically write your
term paper, essay, or thesis for you while you snooze on a
tropical beach somewhere...

tchicks wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman

tchicks wrote:
I would like Word (student and teacher version) to have a
template a student can use to write a term paper, essay, or thesis.
This should include various writing formats: proposal, applications
paper, dissertation, thesis, research project etc.)

[snip]
I use Microsoft Office 2003 for Students and Teachers.

Click File New to open the New Document task pane. Click the link in the
pane to "Templates on Office Online". There are hundreds of templates there.
Enter your terms in the Search box and see what comes back.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

My initial reaction was not unlike that of garfield-n-odie. Jay's response
was more productive, though. There are useful templates out there.

Seriously, I hope Microsoft does _not_ take you up on the suggestions for
changes to Word. I realize that you put some time into making the
suggestions and they are heartfelt. It could make Word a lot harder for most
general users to use. Each time specialized features are added, they make
Word more complicated and risk making current features not work as well as
they do now. They seldom work well enough to really be helpful. (Take a look
at the Master Document "feature.")

To the extent Microsoft can develop and distribute templates that do what
you want, more power to them, and you.

The synonymn and dictionary are updated periodically, but not monthly,
probably just when a new version of Word is released. There are other tools
available for this. If you are using Word instead of a real dictionary and
thesaurus for your research, you are limiting yourself. These tools in Word
are intended to be rudimentary and are helpful for general writers.

The cross-reference features already in Word are very powerful and few
people are willing to take the time to learn them.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"tchicks" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Daiya Mitchell

Reasonable requests....

There are programs that will manage your citations for you so that you can
use and reuse and format them automatically. I strongly doubt Word will ever
have this feature, as it's quite specialized and there are already
third-party solutions for those who would actually use it. Google for
bibliographic management software--the big three (all discounted for
students, aimed at academics/research scientists) are EndNote, ProCite, and
Reference Manager, but there may be cheaper ones more suited to a student's
limited needs.

Otherwise, copy and paste and Find & Replace can save quite a lot of time.

Like Jay said, the templates you want are probably already online. If MS has
not created them, try searching the web via google.

Re the various writing formats, most schools/professors tend to have their
own preferred styles for the layout and formatting of dissertations,
research projects, etc, so a template would not necessarily be that helpful.
If you are hoping templates would help with the content of such things,
e.g., how to organize them, what to put in them, god forbid that such issues
get left up to Microsoft and then distributed to the entire world. Again,
there are many "how to write a paper proposal" etc, guides on the internet.
Better to have students searching the web for a selection and choosing the
tips most appropriate for their topic, than to inflict a "one-size-fits-all"
solution on the globe.

However, if other people find your suggestions, I suspect it would get lots
of votes. An APA template is a very common request.

On 1/20/06 11:14 AM, "tchicks" wrote:

[...]

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=40f7e6ed-5a41
-4ce8-a2fc-6fbfc18b1f28&dg=microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/