Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
alan

Default TOC line spacing?

Word (2003) is generating a TOC automagically, but the lines are quite far
apart, probably doublespaced. I'm confused as to how to change that.

Word is applying Hypertext style to all TOC entries. In Styles and
Formatting, the Hyperlink style is shown as a character style (little 'a' at
the right of the name) but counterintuitively says it's derived from the
Default Paragraph Style. In the Hypertext style's Format pulldown, Paragraph
is greyed out, so obviously line spacing can't be twiddled there.

Can I change the TOC line spacing (preferably without changing the Default
Paragraph Style)?

thanks
Alan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I agree this is very confusing. If you allow the entire TOC entry (as
opposed to just the page numbers) to be hyperlinked, then Word does indeed
display the Hyperlink character style (instead of the underlying paragraph
style) as the "Formatting of selected text" in the Styles and Formatting
task pane.

There are various ways around this:

1. If you change the paragraph formatting of a single TOC entry, most likely
the style will be updated (TOC styles are by default set to update
automatically).

2. You *can* access the Modify Style dialog for styles that are not
displayed, though it requires some unintuitive steps (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html).

3. You could temporarily unlink the TOC entries: press Alt+F9 to display the
field code, delete the \h switch, Alt+F9 to toggle back, and F9 to update.
You should then see TOC 1, TOC 2, etc., as the "Formatting of selected
text." Later you can add the \h switch back if desired.