Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Kevin

Default Font problems

I have seen the issue mentioned before in the group, but we are wondering
if/when there is going to be a change. When trying to modify the default
font type for the "Normal table", we are unable to. All of our forms must be
uniform as we deal with Insurance forms. Unfortunately, the "Normal table"
is NOT of the font type or size that we are using. It is set at Times New
Roman and seems to be at size 12 point. We can create other table types, but
they are based off the "Normal" table and sometimes when printing out of our
application, the font type changes back to TNR 12 point. Also, we are NOT
able to change to font size in any table to 10 point. We can select any
other size, but not the 10 point.

We are using Word 2003 as part of the MS Office 2003 Professional suite. Is
Microsoft ever going to allow us to change the "Normal table" like we can
change the "normal" font and even the "normal.dot". Is there any good work
around for this? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke

Hi Kevin,

"Unformatted" text in a table is in the "Normal" paragraph style... That's
where the "Times New Roman 12 pt" comes from.

Because of a bug (caused by "Normal" being 10 pt in older versions) you
can't change the size to 10 pt.
The work-around is to change the "Normal" paragraph style to 10 pt.

And because of a rather questionable design decision, you can change the
font of "Normal" to some other font, but once you change the "Normal"
paragraph style, the corresponding setting (say the font in this case...
same with other formatting) of the table style will be ignored.

I usually try to not change "Normal" (except maybe change it to 10 pt), and
set the font and font size in the table style(s) "Table Grid", "Normal
Table"...

Regards,
Klaus

"Kevin" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Kevin

Does anyone know if Microsoft is going to change this so we CAN modifty the
"Normal Table"?
Thanks.

"Kevin" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke

Sorry, no, I don't think so. You could post a suggestion on the web
interface to these newsgroups, maybe that could help to get it on the radar
for MS.
The more complaints the better...

:-/ Klaus