Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
COE

Default Track changes problem in table - Word 2000

Hi, I am having a problem with track changes that is almost identical to the
kb Article - 209584 -WD2000: "Accept or Reject Changes" Skips Table Cells.

However the workaround in the article is not working.

ie - there are two diferrent tracked changes in a single table cell. One is
an insertion, and can be accepted. The other is a paragraph number that was
removed when the style was removed. This paragraph number is proving
impossible to accept and therefore to remove. Every time I try it the entire
row is selected and accept changes does nothing.

I have tried accepting changes through track changes and the reviewing
toolbar - no luck with either.

Accept all changes works - but unfortunately I need all the other changes.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

COE

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke

Hi COE,

Revisions in tables are terribly buggy. There have been some discussions on
this... I remember
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...3c0075d7ab12a1

I was not able to adapt the macro from there for your problem, though.
Since the Revisions collection is shot, and since revisions can overlap,
it's really hard to treat them all without missing some.

When there are bugs like this, it sometimes helps to see why it wasn't
fixed... that is, why it does work 8at least in some limited way) from the
user interface.

In the UI, the buttons for the previous and next revision simply ignore the
problematic revisions.

So maybe we can use those built-in commands, say
WordBasic.NextChangeOrComment
instead of
Selection.NextRevision?

The macro below ignores the problematic revisions. Once it reaches the end
of the document, you get a dialog asking you whether you want to continue at
the beginning of the doc... I haven't found a good way around that.

Dim myRevision As Revision
' Go to start of doc...
Selection.HomeKey (wdStory)
' and deal with all revisions:
Do
WordBasic.NextChangeOrComment
Set myRevision = Selection.Range.Revisions(1)
MsgBox myRevision.Type
Loop While Not (myRevision Is Nothing)

It's not a real solution, not even a very good work-around, but maybe better
than nothing...

Regards,
Klaus

"COE" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
COE

Thanks Klaus,

I'll have to try some of these macros, they look like they might be useful.
I'll give anything a go to clean up this doc!

Since I first found this problem, I have also discovered that when it occurs
where one of the revisions is the deletion of a style with numbering, any
further revisions to styles with numbering in the table are tracked - whether
tracking is on or not!

Maybe a macro will be able to clean that up as well.

I'll have to give it a shot.

Thanks
COE

"COE" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke

[...] any further revisions to styles with numbering in
the table are tracked - whether tracking is on or not!

I don't see that when tracking is off. That would be an additional bug.

Maybe a macro will be able to clean that up as well.

I'll have to give it a shot.

Good luck... and if it doesn't maybe you can mail me a doc where numbering
is tracked even though "Track changes" is off.

Regards,
Klaus

"COE" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
COE

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

I don't see that when tracking is off. That would be an additional bug.

It must be another bug. I haven't been able to recreate it yet, but it is
something to do with one of the revisions being the removal of a style with
numbering.

Good luck... and if it doesn't maybe you can mail me a doc where numbering
is tracked even though "Track changes" is off.

Thanks. I'll have to track down the document again.

Cheers,
COE

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
COE

Just updating this problem,
by far the easiest workaround for this is to insert a new row, cut and paste
the text to the new row, and then delete the old row.
In most cases this also preserves the tracked changes.