Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jenny H

Default Why will mailmerge not use all the fields from data source?

I am trying to produce a document in Word which uses data from Excel, the
data extends to column GA and there are 85 records. Data consists of text and
then number and calculated numbers.
When I attempt to mailmerge, it only picks up columns up to W, basically the
text columns. Is there a limit to the number of columns that can be merged?

Thanks for any advice.
Jenny

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

The number of fields are only limited by the number of columns in the data
source which with Excel is 256. Did you insert all of the fields into the
mailmerge main document?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jenny H" Jenny wrote in message
I am trying to produce a document in Word which uses data from Excel, the
data extends to column GA and there are 85 records. Data consists of text
and
then number and calculated numbers.
When I attempt to mailmerge, it only picks up columns up to W, basically
the
text columns. Is there a limit to the number of columns that can be
merged?

Thanks for any advice.
Jenny

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jenny H

Hi Doug, thanks for the reply. I just directed the mailmerge to the Excel
document and presumed that it would bring in all the columns, but it didn't.
Is it possible to insert them manually as well? I couldn't see an obvious
way how to.

Sorry, I don't use mailmerge very often!
Jenny

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

The number of fields are only limited by the number of columns in the data
source which with Excel is 256. Did you insert all of the fields into the
mailmerge main document?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jenny H" Jenny wrote in message
I am trying to produce a document in Word which uses data from Excel, the
data extends to column GA and there are 85 records. Data consists of text
and
then number and calculated numbers.
When I attempt to mailmerge, it only picks up columns up to W, basically
the
text columns. Is there a limit to the number of columns that can be
merged?

Thanks for any advice.
Jenny

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

You have to insert a mergefield for each column in the worksheet. The names
in the cells of the first row of the worksheet must be useable as mergefield
names.

See the article "Creating a Mail Merge Data Source" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMe...DataSource.htm