Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DPurplRose

Default Locking a document with mail merge

Now, I know that it is impossible to lock a document that contains mail
merge. I also read that if I change the document into a template I can do it
that way. Here's my problem:

We have a shared letter than uses mail merge. My coworkers keep deleting
fields in the letter itself and then wonder why it doesn't have all the
information. Is there a way that they can add/change the data source without
them being able to change the mail merge document itself? (I hope I got all
of the terminology correct)

These folks won't consider learning how to open the template through a new
document, they will just open and change the template. Most of them aren't
too savvy when it comes to computers (really, neither am I, so use small
words please , and I'm getting sick of fixing the mail merge document.
Hence, why I need them to have access to the document without changing
anything besides the records.

We use Microsoft Office Word 2003 for all of our word processing needs.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

Make your merge template read-only.

Make it so it is much harder to open your template than it is to create a
new document based on your template. You can do this by putting it on menus
even. http://addbalance.com/word/templatesmenu.htm
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.