Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
HD

Default Still having problems merging with DBF

Hi,

Last week, I got an answer to my problem from Brenda(by the way, thank you!)
that for my mail merge to work with a DBF datasource, I needed to install
the WDVFPDSN.exe.
I did that, but it still does not work...
When I try to open the datasource, it gives me a little window where I need
to confirm the datasource... I have tried all the choices... and I just get
the same error: "Word was unable to open the data source".

Here is a reminder of the problem:
The Technical Dept has changed our application server(the merge works on our
old machine)... This new server has
Windows Server 2003 (Standard edition) and Office XP, SP3.
I have a word document that needs to merge to a DBF file on this new
machine... When I try to do the merge, the system gives me the message:
"Word was unable to open the datasource."

I have installed the VFPODBC.msi as well as the WDVFPDSN.exe...

Please help me, anyone.

H. Dumas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I think there are two main possible problems he
a. you may only be able to connect programmatically and
b. you may actually need to use the Access/Jet driver (which typically
works for older .dbf format files, whereas the FoxPro driver is for more
recent FoxPro formats), and since it isn't installed by default in the
version of the MDAC (data access) that comes with Win 2003 you may have to
install it.

I would try the following.

If you have Excel, see if you can open the DBF in Excel using the FoxPro
driver. If you cannot, you almost certainly need to install the Jet stuff
that used to be part of the MDAC. You can probably find the right version
for Win 2003 at

by following the "Product and Update Downloads" link at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/downloads/default.aspx

If you can open the DBF in Excel, it suggests that Word ought to be able to
use the FoxPro driver. I would proceeed as follows:

Follow the instructions in this Knowledgebase article:

"Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message When You Open a
Word Document"

at

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

See if that makes any difference on its own (I doubt it, but it's worth a
try)

Then, if possible, try opening the data source in VBA code using the FoxPro
driver. An example of the syntax you need for a .dbf with a FoxPro ODBC
User/System DSN is

ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource _
Name:="", _
Connection:="DSN=Visual FoxPro Tables;SourceType=DBF;" & _
"SourceDB=c:\fp;Deleted=No;Exclusive=No;", _
SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM 'mytable'", _
Subtype:=wdMergeSubTypeWord2000

where "Visual FoxPro Tables" is the name of the ODBC DSN, c:\fp is the
folder containing the .dbf, and the .dbf is called mytable.dbf. You may
need backquotes ` instead of straight quotes ' around the table name.

That's my best guess, anyway.

Peter Jamieson

"HD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
HD

Thank you Peter for trying to help me...
But it still does not work...
1. I can open my dbf file with Excel... when I double click on the dbf file
and choose Excel as the opening application, it works and I can see very
well all the columns.

2. The article you ask me to look at is to get rid of the little window when
opening my Word document... I do not have a problem with this window... I
just answer "no" and then I try to open the database manually.

3. I have tried using VBA in a Macro to open the data source and it still
does not work...

I am really at my wit's end... And the worst of it all is that it works fine
on other computers with different OS but same Office version.

If I can't find a solution... I will have to forgo the DBF file as a
datasource...

Please help.

H. Dumas

"HD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Hello HD,

1. I can open my dbf file with Excel... when I double click on the dbf
file
and choose Excel as the opening application, it works and I can see very
well all the columns.

That's a good sign, but if you can find out what Excel is using to open the
DBF, it might help. For example, can you see if it is using the FoxPro
driver, or the Jet driver? (I wish I could be more helpful: this area is
unfamiliar for me - if you can't see anything, I can have a closer look).

2. The article you ask me to look at is to get rid of the little window
when
opening my Word document... I do not have a problem with this window... I
just answer "no" and then I try to open the database manually.

The problem is that when you open the data source using VBA, you /must/
apply the change described in the article I mentioned. Otherwise, the
OpenDataSource call will always raise an error. So, you have to do that...

3. I have tried using VBA in a Macro to open the data source and it still
does not work...

....even to make that have a chance of working.

I am really at my wit's end... And the worst of it all is that it works
fine
on other computers with different OS but same Office version.

Understood.

If I can't find a solution... I will have to forgo the DBF file as a
datasource...

What options do you have? (FWIW the free SQL Server 2005 Express is now a
released product, and has many advantages. But it's a "heavyweight" product
that may not be appropriate for you)

Peter Jamieson

"HD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
HD

Hi there,

Thanks a lot but I finally found part of the problem... When I installed the
VFPODBC.msi, it installed it in the System DSN tab of the ODBC
Administrator... They had to be installed in the User DSN... which is what I
did... I added them in the User DSN tab using exactly the same names and
driver... and now it works...
BUT (yes there is a but....) the merge works with DBF files that do NOT have
memo fields... As soon as my DBF file has a memo field, I'm back where I
started again...
Two steps forward... one step back...

If you or anybody has any idea as to why it does that... I REALLY would
appreciate the input.

Hélène