Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Joe B

Default Greeting Lines : Data set with some married and others not

Hello :

I am trying to create a letter template for a group of customers that has
some who are married, and others who are not. I would like the greeting to
address those who are married as such : Dear Bob and Sue, but when they are
are not married to say just : Dear Bob. Any idea how I can do this?

Thanks for helping. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this
out.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

This is fairly easy to achieve if your data file has some method of
identifying whether the customers are married and the names of their
spouses, but you have not provided any information about what personal
information your data file contains. Ideally each data record should have a
Spouse field. If it has you would use something like:

"Dear {Mergefield FirstName}{IF {Mergefield Spouse} "" " and {Mergefield
Spouse}"}

Joe B wrote:
Hello :

I am trying to create a letter template for a group of customers that
has some who are married, and others who are not. I would like the
greeting to address those who are married as such : Dear Bob and Sue,
but when they are are not married to say just : Dear Bob. Any idea
how I can do this?

Thanks for helping. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure
this out.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Joe B

Thanks for your response. I the data file does have a placeholder for the
name of the spouse (or in this instance, a co-buyer) that is clearly defined.
I will try out this method today and see if I can get this to work. Thanks
again